Menu

Elem school and Middle school did not meet AYP in Reading....?

I received a letter in the mail today stating that the elem school and middle school my DD's attend did not meet AYP in Reading for 3 years in a row. I am now allowed to transfer my kids to a different school within the district if I want to. We were given 2 choices each. The alternative choices have met the AYP.

Have any of you received a letter like this? Did you transfer you DC?

I received a letter in the mail today stating that the elem school and middle school my DD's attend did not meet AYP in Reading for 3 years in a row. I am now allowed to transfer my kids to a different school within the district if I want to. We were given 2 choices each. The alternative choices have met the AYP.

Have any of you received a letter like this? Did you transfer you DC?

I got a letter like that from DD's school a couple of years ago. I did not transfer her. DD's school generally got good scores, and therefore their AYP goal was raised to an even higher standard. Each year they have to do better than the year before.

Here's an example of how AYP can mislead: In one category, DD's school improved by one point, but their goal was to improve by 5 points that year, so they did not make AYP in that category even though they did better. :001_huh:

So, take a good look at the numbers, find out how the schools compare (and not just by AYP), and find out what the current school will be doing in terms of corrective action. They have to get an improvement plan in place and will have more oversight now that they have this label.

You may want to figure out why the school did not make AYP. It could be because the special ed population doesn't score has high as the general ed population in reading. So if the school has a 95% pass rate and special ed only has a 92% pass rate, they won't make AYP. Many schools have required pass rates in the upper nineties now. It is hard to have a special ed pass rate that high. Also, ESOL students have to pass unaccomodated at that rate if they have been in the country for more than a year. Pretty hard to do when only Spanish is spoken or read at home.

However, it could be something serious in the gen ed population. You should be able to find the information you need on your state's DOE website.

Definitely research. Our local newspaper recently published school scores for area schools from the state, based in part on AYP. Suddenly, our excellent school received a lower rating than another nearby school that I would NEVER consider for my kids. AYP very misleading. If it helps schools that have room for improvement, great, but it really hurts those that are already producing excellence.

I got a letter like that from DD's school a couple of years ago. I did not transfer her. DD's school generally got good scores, and therefore their AYP goal was raised to an even higher standard. Each year they have to do better than the year before.

Here's an example of how AYP can mislead: In one category, DD's school improved by one point, but their goal was to improve by 5 points that year, so they did not make AYP in that category even though they did better. :001_huh:

So, take a good look at the numbers, find out how the schools compare (and not just by AYP), and find out what the current school will be doing in terms of corrective action. They have to get an improvement plan in place and will have more oversight now that they have this label.

Yes, this.