harmonyfarms

First year homeschooling here: 3rd grade

Please let me know if I am 'missing' anything important:

Story of the World, 1

Writing with Ease, 1

Spelling Power

Easy Grammar, Grade 3

Teaching Textbooks, Grade 3

We will also do reading, piano, soccer, and maybe some theater. He will go to a bible class at my church but I may add more later. THOUGHTS?

Did you do placement tests for WWE and TT? I would expect a 3rd grader could probably start at level 2 in WWE, and a lot of people find they have to go up a grade in TT. So just make sure you've placed him correctly. :)

Science can be done without a curriculum. Library books are what I'm using for my 3rd grader this year.

I'd add some science. I like the method explained in TWTM best for that stage.

I'll second looking at the placement tests for WWE and TT.

Also, a pile of good quality literature to read through. I mostly use the lists from Veritas Press, and TWTM has good lists, too.

:iagree:

She said they were going to read books, which I think is fine for literature. And art and foreign language are nice, but can be optional. But I think you should really do *something* for science, even if it's just a reading time every week or a weekly science documentary or something.

Can't believe I forgot to put science down! We are going to use Developing Critical Thinking Through Science Book 1.

He actually took the placement test for TT and passed the one for him to start in grade 3. He did not pass it high, but non-the-less passed. Math is not strong for him so I'm ok if it's easier for him. He needs to build some confidence.

As for WWE, I decided to start with level one because I think some of this will be new for him. Physically writing is difficult for him so I needed short and sweet dictations, etc. Again, I'm ok with easy.

The #1 thing that cannot happen for us this year if for him to get overwhelmed or hate this. We were in a great private school that we could no longer afford and that wasn't helping in all of his learning issues.

BUT, thanks for the thoughts. If I find that some of it is TOO easy, we may skip ahead. I can always start the next level early.

My son 'does art' with my mom. She doesn't want to be his 'teacher' so there is no set formal time but he will spend a weekend over there doing all sorts of things. Mixing colors, painting on canvas, etc.

Just so you know, there is no dictation in WWE1. That begins in WWE2. If you want to start with 1, you might consider doing it at a double pace. We did it at a double pace this spring with my 6yo? WWE1 is copy work on days 1 and 3, narration on days 2 and 4. The narration is not summarizing at that point, just answering questions and telling one thing you remember about the passage. So, at a double pace, each day would include copy work and you reading a passage with him answering a few questions.

I think it's a fine start for a first year homeschooler. I started my ds in WWe in 3rd grade this past year and it was a new concept for us as well. I got The Complete Writer text instead of any of the workbooks. There are a few weekly lessons written out for each year of WWE and then it gives ideas how to implement the rest of the weeks on your own. I gave my ds the evals first and then hit the areas he needed work in. After working with the lesson samples in the teacher text and doing the evals I've decided to keep him working in WWE3 this year for 4th and hopefully moving into WWE4 by end of the year. I now have the WWE3 workbook to use and plan on using WWE1 as a resource to help with listening composition. I don't know your child's skills but WWE1 all year for a 3rd grader may get old and boring super fast...although it could help as a read aloud and answer the questions time. I find this program a big help for listening/reading comprehension skills. Maybe it would help to work through the levels faster using the text to help find your child's truer WWE level.

ETA: If writing is difficult check into the Handwriting Without Tears program---maybe the 2nd grade book if he's not ready for cursive.

Edited by Walking-Iris

Did you do placement tests for WWE and TT? I would expect a 3rd grader could probably start at level 2 in WWE, and a lot of people find they have to go up a grade in TT. So just make sure you've placed him correctly. :)

Science can be done without a curriculum. Library books are what I'm using for my 3rd grader this year.

Going to second this for TT.