Menu

Allergy-Blood tests vs prick tests

I had my daughter, a tiny 9 yo, at the allergist back in march or so. They did the scratch test and didnt find allergies. Then they did a patch test on her back that showed Wheat allergy. Her main issue had been the constant rash (eczema) and the dark circles under her eyes.

Once I stopped wheat she pretty much got rid of the rash. Then we got caught up on vacations...and our cruise and she went back to eating wheat. I havent seen a huge increase of rash...and I just realized she has a slight rash again. :( So...I know I have to get back on our Gluten Free diet.

Anyways, she went for her physical this past month and she did a blood allergy test since she hasnt had it in a long time. I wanted to see if the wheat would show up. The wheat did NOT show up but now there are new allergies that the allergist didnt find.

Peanut is a class 1

Milk, Egg Whites class 2

wheat 0

SO...are the blood allergy tests accurate as opposed to that scratch test? or Patch test? Granted the patch test showed a mild egg whites reaction but it was gone by the last day so the allergist didnt count it....

I am PRAYING it isnt a start of a peanut allergy. I was having enough trouble with wheat now to eliminate milk, eggs and peanut. I am terrified since I had such a hard time with the wheat alone. I am hoping this could be a false positive?

im waiting to hear back from the Allergist about this but I was curious as to how everyone else has had experiences like this. I was thinking my dd eats PB all the time...I thought the more you ate PB the less you would have an allergy? Not develop one out of the blue?

Edited by mchel210

:grouphug: Allergies stink!

I was told that the blood test was more accurate by our allergists. We have 2. My dh and ds9 have different doctors. I was also told that any time my ds has blood taken for any reason, I was to request the allergy pannel so we can check his levels.

He is allergic to tree nuts and coconuts.

The blood tests (immuno-cap RASTS) are supposed to be more accurate, but level 1 and 2 are really low. My children with multiple food allergies eat their 3s or they wouldn't eat anything :tongue_smilie:.

Symptoms trump tests. If you're still seeing some symptoms in dd, since so many people are lactose intolerant and you have a mild milk in there, you could always do a 2 week dairy free trial and see what happens. You've got some time since it's not like she's anaphylactic here.

And removing peanuts is actually a really easy one - not like peanuts are a staple and in everything. If you've done wheat, peanuts would be SO easy. For the child that is a peanut-butter lover, there are so many readily available alternative nut butters now, this is an easy one.

Ds's allergist actually told him to continue to eat peanuts (he registers as a 2 for them but doesn't react) because peanuts are the one allergen where if you eliminate them completely, the accidental allergic reactions become worse. Since peanut is already a scary allergy, you don't want to make the reactions worse.

I agree with Mamakim, we go by reactions or ds would never eat anything. He reacts to egg, milk, lentils, peas, kiwi, tree nuts, & sesame, so those are are what we avoid, but most of these come up as 3+ on his panel.

THat is very good to hear. :001_smile:

As of now...she doesnt have any other reaction besides eczema. That is a pain since she itches a lot. I can almost always eliminate wheat and that goes away. The rings under her eyes pretty much clear up when I cut wheat. I can always tell when she has it and the rings come back.

I never imagined in a million years she would develop a peanut allergy...but I do hearing it is possible to remain eating them as long as the reaction isnt bad. I have an appointment with the allergist at the end of the month to discuss it all. I am thankful it isnt a horrible allergy but this kid has always been my "allergy" fun child. She was even allergic to her diapers. but she is my easiest to adapt :)

thanks everyone for the advice.