Menu

Confused about university textbooks

One of ds's classes has 3 books listed and instead of required or optional it says choice. Does that mean he can pick whichever one he wants for the class?

Also, why are none of the books being sold for the classes available anywhere else but at the university bookstore? I've looked all over the internet and nothing. Are there textbooks with specific ISBNs made exclusively for an individual university?

I cannot answer the first question, but yes there are textbooks made exclusively for individual universities. I actually came upon this for a community college. It was a common book, but with a few changes for this particular school. Ugh. No getting it cheaper.

There was also the college text with some simple workpages at the back that had to be torn ou tof the book and turned in. No copies allowed, so no selling the book back.

It's a racket.

Linda

I cannot answer the first question, but yes there are textbooks made exclusively for individual universities. I actually came upon this for a community college. It was a common book, but with a few changes for this particular school. Ugh. No getting it cheaper.

There was also the college text with some simple workpages at the back that had to be torn ou tof the book and turned in. No copies allowed, so no selling the book back.

It's a racket.

Linda

That is what I was worried about. Ugh. They just raised the rates almost 20% and now this??? :angry:

Sometimes books are bundled specially for a university, or it can be a special edition for that university, yes.

It sucks. Because that means you can't get it cheaper. :glare:

As far as the choice books, I've had classes where we do get to pick which of the (3, 4, 5, etc.) books to use, because it is for an individual project and not in class discussion. But before buying I would either email the professor or wait until after the first day of classes when he'll have the syllabus and know for sure.

Sometimes books are bundled specially for a university, or it can be a special edition for that university, yes.

It sucks. Because that means you can't get it cheaper. :glare:

As far as the choice books, I've had classes where we do get to pick which of the (3, 4, 5, etc.) books to use, because it is for an individual project and not in class discussion. But before buying I would either email the professor or wait until after the first day of classes when he'll have the syllabus and know for sure.

Okay, thanks. She doesn't have an email accessible so I guess he will wait.

Yes, schools often publish their own texts, so you can't find a cheaper version online. :( If the text has been in use for a year or so, check your local Craigs List to see if anyone who took the class in the past semester or two is selling used.

And sometimes, the "choice" is just choice of the same textbook, just what version:

- buying the actual textbook

- renting the actual textbook

- purchasing e-book usage

I think the sticker shock of college texts was what really made me blow my top when we started the dual enrollment! BEST of luck in your college journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

OH that "just for us" textbook thing. It's the biggest scam on the planet. I had a professor who self-published his work because NO ONE ON PLANET EARTH WOULD TOUCH THAT DRIVEL WITH A TEN FOOT POLE and then required it for a class. $100.00 for the worst piece of literature ever to sully the halls of higher education...it made "Fifty Shades of Grey" or whatever it is look like a Nobel Prize winning effort.

Couldn't get out of it, couldn't get rid of it...so, at the end of the semester...since said professor had convinced the powers that be that no one should be able to sell our books used to the next round of unsuspecting innocents that signed up for his class, we had a book burning. Seriously, we lit a fire right on the square in front of everyone and every class member tossed their copy into the flames. We were obnoxious enough to invite the professor to our book burning!!! :D He did not take us up on the offer. At the end of the second semester - in which the texts were donated by the students to the psyche lab where behavioral testing was being done on poor, defenseless rats in order to have the pages ripped out and used as "bedding"...rat poo being the only legitimate use for the text. The dean decided to end allowing the prof to require the book in his class. :lol:

Aha....the Liberal Arts College experience! You know, "On Civil Disobedience" can be a dangerous tome in the hands of 19 year olds!!!

OP, I feel your pain. You are not likely to find any way around it.

Faith

OH that "just for us" textbook thing. It's the biggest scam on the planet. I had a professor who self-published his work because NO ONE ON PLANET EARTH WOULD TOUCH THAT DRIVEL WITH A TEN FOOT POLE and then required it for a class. $100.00 for the worst piece of literature ever to sully the halls of higher education...it made "Fifty Shades of Grey" or whatever it is look like a Nobel Prize winning effort.

Couldn't get out of it, couldn't get rid of it...so, at the end of the semester...since said professor had convinced the powers that be that no one should be able to sell our books used to the next round of unsuspecting innocents that signed up for his class, we had a book burning. Seriously, we lit a fire right on the square in front of everyone and every class member tossed their copy into the flames. We were obnoxious enough to invite the professor to our book burning!!! :D He did not take us up on the offer. At the end of the second semester - in which the texts were donated by the students to the psyche lab where behavioral testing was being done on poor, defenseless rats in order to have the pages ripped out and used as "bedding"...rat poo being the only legitimate use for the text. The dean decided to end allowing the prof to require the book in his class. :lol:

Aha....the Liberal Arts College experience! You know, "On Civil Disobedience" can be a dangerous tome in the hands of 19 year olds!!!

OP, I feel your pain. You are not likely to find any way around it.

Faith

That would make me so mad. These books are popular textbooks used all over the country from universities but they appear to be "special" to our uni for some reason. :glare:

Yes, schools often publish their own texts, so you can't find a cheaper version online. :( If the text has been in use for a year or so, check your local Craigs List to see if anyone who took the class in the past semester or two is selling used.

And sometimes, the "choice" is just choice of the same textbook, just what version:

- buying the actual textbook

- renting the actual textbook

- purchasing e-book usage

I think the sticker shock of college texts was what really made me blow my top when we started the dual enrollment! BEST of luck in your college journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thanks!