Menu

thyroid meds and blood sugar?

I know the primary answer to this is probably, "go to an endocrinologist," but until I get around to that.....

background: I'm about 16 weeks pregnant. I found out I was hypothyroid after finding out I was pregnant (a blood test last year showed borderline TSH, but I never did anything about it). TSH was over 6. Midwife/ob put me on synthroid, and I started taking it maybe 8 weeks ago. They ran another thyroid panel about 2 weeks after I started the meds, and the TSH was down to just over 1. Then they tested again 3 or 4 weeks later, and it was down again to .47. So still at the low end of normal, but it seemed to me that it was coming down awfully fast. My very laid back midwife was unconcerned.

Okay, so last test, where it was .47, was just over 2 weeks ago. In the past few days, I've started having some hypoglycemic episodes for the first time in over a year. I have a strong family history of diabetes and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy, so I keep an eye on things. I used to get low blood sugar pretty frequently, but a year and a half ago I started watching carbs, and I haven't had any trouble since then. My A1C, taken at the same time as my orginal thyroid panel, was normal.

Yesterday I was feeling low blood sugary, ate something (I think I had a square of 85% dark chocolate, some milk, and some leftover steak). STILL felt bad a couple of hours later, so I went and got a meter. My blood sugar was 67. I ate again, tested again a couple of hours later, and it was fine....right around 100. My fasting level this morning was 85, so great. Then I tested again 3 hours after breakfast, and it was 140. crap.

So I'm blaming the thyroid medicine. I'm worried that the dosage is too high, and I'm hyperthyroid now,and word is this can make it really hard to regulate your blood sugar. But I don't WANT hard to regulate blood sugar!

Anyway....anyone else had similar issues? Am I right to blame the synthroid? how hard is it going to be to figure this whole medication thing out? I really wish I'd known about it and done it before I got pregnant. sigh.

I have hyperthyroid and while I've never had to monitor my blood sugar, that is exactly what it feels like. I would definitely address the synthroid/TSH levels and try to get them back to just over 1 (or where you feel most like 'yourself'). That doesn't mean you don't have gestational diabetes, but both conditions need to be addressed.

Thanks guys :)

I've tested several more times today (this is why it's not good for me to have a meter; I get a little obsessive), and sugar's been completely fine. 104 an hour after a meal; 92 at a random time in the afternoon. So maybe the low blood sugar episodes were flukes. I also remembered that I'd had a handful of potato chips shortly before my 140 reading this morning....so that may not have been as big of a deal as it seemed when I thought it was 3 hours after breakfast. We'll see. I'm so terrible at being pregnant. Fortunately, I'm great at having babies :)

kokotg: I know the primary answer to this is probably, "go to an endocrinologist," but until I get around to that.....

background: I'm about 16 weeks pregnant. I found out I was hypothyroid after finding out I was pregnant (a blood test last year showed borderline TSH, but I never did anything about it). TSH was over 6. Midwife/ob put me on synthroid, and I started taking it maybe 8 weeks ago. They ran another thyroid panel about 2 weeks after I started the meds, and the TSH was down to just over 1. Then they tested again 3 or 4 weeks later, and it was down again to .47. So still at the low end of normal, but it seemed to me that it was coming down awfully fast. My very laid back midwife was unconcerned.

Low normal is GOOD. Most people feel their best within the low end of the one range or even in the undetectable range. It comes down very quickly when you start hormones, at least the natural thyroids (not sure about synthetics, like Synthroid).

Okay, so last test, where it was .47, was just over 2 weeks ago. In the past few days, I've started having some hypoglycemic episodes for the first time in over a year. I have a strong family history of diabetes and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy, so I keep an eye on things. I used to get low blood sugar pretty frequently, but a year and a half ago I started watching carbs, and I haven't had any trouble since then. My A1C, taken at the same time as my orginal thyroid panel, was normal.

Yesterday I was feeling low blood sugary, ate something (I think I had a square of 85% dark chocolate, some milk, and some leftover steak). STILL felt bad a couple of hours later, so I went and got a meter. My blood sugar was 67. I ate again, tested again a couple of hours later, and it was fine....right around 100. My fasting level this morning was 85, so great. Then I tested again 3 hours after breakfast, and it was 140. crap.

So I'm blaming the thyroid medicine. I'm worried that the dosage is too high, and I'm hyperthyroid now,and word is this can make it really hard to regulate your blood sugar. But I don't WANT hard to regulate blood sugar!

I think these two -thyroid supplementation and blood sugar during pregnancy -are probably unrelated. It is normal to go above 100 after eating. If you are hyper, your heart will be pounding out of your chest, you will have multiple bowel movements a day, and you will be jittery. Sounds like you just needed to eat because you are pregnant.

Not a fan of Synthroid, but it sounds unrelated to me.

Thanks guys :)

I've tested several more times today (this is why it's not good for me to have a meter; I get a little obsessive), and sugar's been completely fine. 104 an hour after a meal; 92 at a random time in the afternoon. So maybe the low blood sugar episodes were flukes. I also remembered that I'd had a handful of potato chips shortly before my 140 reading this morning....so that may not have been as big of a deal as it seemed when I thought it was 3 hours after breakfast. We'll see. I'm so terrible at being pregnant. Fortunately, I'm great at having babies :)

Put that thing AWAY!

Put that thing AWAY!

I know! But, at the same time, I don't want to slip too far in the other direction, where I have no idea what my blood sugar's doing, and I'm like, "I'm sure it's fine....ooh, look--cookies!" :D Moderation. That is what I must work on!