Menu

Is it normal for beginning readers to read words backwards?

My older did this but he is dyslexic. Is it normal for a beginning reader to read some words backwards ("pin" instead of "nip" for example)? I've read some opinions that young readers who aren't dyslexic sometimes say the last sound first and it comes out backwards. Could he just be trying to blend faster than his brain is ready to go? I'm really hoping that is the case and that my younger is not dyslexic too!

Both my kids have done this. My oldest was reading at 5, and is quite definitely not dyslexic. My younger son is a beginner, but I'm seeing the same issues, so now I'm thinking it might be normal. It's driving me crazy, though - he doesn't want to be told the words are read the other way!

Both of my kids did this, and neither of them are dyslexic. (Interestingly, my older one would also doing this when she learnt to talk - oosh instead of shoe, etc.)

We used a cursor with our phonics program. It's a credit card-sized card with a little square cut out of the top left-hand corner, and we used it to track along the word, so they had no choice but to read left to right.

HTH!

I do have a cursor that we used for ds 1's vision therapy, so I could try pulling that out and see if it helps him. He also has some b/d confusion, but has sorted out p/q, which used to be a problem, so I think he is working through it as his brain matures.

It's nice to hear that several other non-dyslexics have done this at the beginning. Ds 2 does not show any of the other dyslexic symptoms ds 1 had - he remembers words he has already read on the next sentence or page, he doesn't substitute the wrong phonograms, no word retrieval issues, etc. so I really don't think he is dyslexic, but the reading backwards is confusing me.

I do have a cursor that we used for ds 1's vision therapy, so I could try pulling that out and see if it helps him. He also has some b/d confusion, but has sorted out p/q, which used to be a problem, so I think he is working through it as his brain matures.

The thing about /b/ makes a line with your mouth and /d/ makes a circle with your mouth has helped both kids here - both DS1 who reverses them in writing, and DS2 who reverses them in reading.

My DD is reading at almost 2nd grade level and still does this every now and then - she was chronic when she first started reading. I don't think she is dislexic as she is 1. improving and 2. not doing it regularly and it's mostly words like was,saw on, no etc.

My DD is reading at almost 2nd grade level and still does this every now and then - she was chronic when she first started reading. I don't think she is dislexic as she is 1. improving and 2. not doing it regularly and it's mostly words like was,saw on, no etc.

Actually, these are dyslexic errors (which I'm sure doesn't add to your peace of mind) when in combination with other language processing issues. The fact that ds doesn't do it on these types of small words but on regular CVC words is what makes me think he is not dyslexic.

Edited by FairProspects

DS1 did that, and he's not dyslexic.

DS2 uses a cursor to force left to right reading. If I don't, â€up†becomes â€quâ€. He may be mildly dyslexic. He's actually flipping letters and words, not reading right to left.

Yeah, this is what ds 1 does. Urge becomes rug, /l/ gets left or changed into another sound if it is the 2nd sound - slow becomes show, etc.