Menu

How to use a box system or some form of organization

Mandylubug

Looking for your recommendations to use a box system or some form of organization for my crew. We have been doing the next thing in each book and it goes pretty well. I hate planning but finding I need to be a wee bit more accountable.

We don't change grades but more so just purchase when I need the next level.

We are currently using

MCT for both boys that are 9 and 10

HWOT cursive (they absolutely HATE IT but I force them to do the workbook)

One son using TT3 but he isn't getting the multiplication so I am using R&S3 for multiplication lessons

R&S3 with my other son

7 year old girls are using

Phonic Pathways

ETC workbooks

HWOT (another blah for us but it is what we have)

R&S1 Math

They all are reading books independently, in addition to a family read aloud

We combine together for WTM style Science and SOTW.

I am using expanding file folders for each kids' printable assignments:

http://www.staples.com/Expanding-Files-Expanding-Files/cat_CL140617

I also have the boxes, but in our house out of sight equals out of mind so the stuff in boxes tends to get overlooked. It works better for me to put each child's independent reading books in a stack on either their desk or the kitchen table. I keep our shared books in a milk crate next to my desk.

When we first started I used a milk crate for each child. I took hanging files and glued labels made out of index cards for each subject. I then put files in each folder for M-F. This is how their work was files. Each index card had a sticky on it that they removed and place on their chart. Last year my FIL built me a set of very expensive shelves out of 1x2. They fit just under my windows and hold 3 boxes per shelf. I bought the $1 dish pans from the dollar store for their workboxes so books and workbooks lay flat. You could get more boxes on each shelf if I used shoeboxes. Each kiddo has their own shelf and even painted it themselves. I think it cost me a total of $20. I also use Scholaric which is $1 a month per kiddo for their schedules. I print out a daily schedule each morning, fill their boxes and away they go!

yes, not sure how I would make it work with the curriculum I am using since we aren't using too many independent tasks.

The author (Sue Patrick) used Sonlight so she had lots of group time too. She just set a time of day for everyone to stop workboxes & do group time.

I like to do group things first, so I used to do Bible & history first, then had them go to their boxes (now I only do history with my youngest, my oldest does it on his own). I alternate things they need to do with me with things they do on their own. So, while my oldest reads history, I'll do history, spelling and get my dd started on math. Then I'll go over math & writing with my son while my dd works on her math and reading, etc...

The workboxes house the books/papers/folders/supplies whether they will do the subject on their own or together with me.

When we all did history together, I only had their supplies in their history drawers, and grabbed the history book off a nearby shelf.

I do lit. read-alouds at night, so I don't use a box for that.

HTH some, here are pictures & a description of our workboxes.

Merry :-)

The author (Sue Patrick) used Sonlight so she had lots of group time too. She just set a time of day for everyone to stop workboxes & do group time.

I like to do group things first, so I used to do Bible & history first, then had them go to their boxes (now I only do history with my youngest, my oldest does it on his own). I alternate things they need to do with me with things they do on their own. So, while my oldest reads history, I'll do history, spelling and get my dd started on math. Then I'll go over math & writing with my son while my dd works on her math and reading, etc...

The workboxes house the books/papers/folders/supplies whether they will do the subject on their own or together with me.

When we all did history together, I only had their supplies in their history drawers, and grabbed the history book off a nearby shelf.

I do lit. read-alouds at night, so I don't use a box for that.

HTH some, here are pictures & a description of our workboxes.

Merry :-)

thank you for sharing. I guess I just don't know what to put in all the drawers LOL We don't play many extra games during our school day we just get to the studies and thats it. Maybe I should include some more fun activities as well? hmmmm

We used the workbox system for our family after schooling 10 and 12 year old bonus kids as well as tot boxes for toddler.

I love them but in our family I am the planner and DH is the stay at home parent who does the schooling. I plan activities to foster skills for tot put them in boxes with all supplies and the during the day DH picks and chooses what to do.

In some boxes are just a book to read, cd of music, recepie for baking/craft such as salt or play dough. If there is an activity like sticker transfer or do a dot all supplies are in the boxes, it saves hunting for needed items.

Hope these examples help that workboxes do not need to be independent activities.

These are the labels on my workboxes (DD 5th grade, DS1 2nd grade, DS2 very excited preschooler):

DD -- General Skills

DD -- Reading

DD -- Math

DD -- Foreign Language

DD -- Writing

DS1 -- General Skilss

DS1 -- Reading

DS1 -- Math

DS1 -- Writing

DS2 -- General Skills

History and Geography

Science

Specials

Mom's Inbox (Okay, that one doesn't actually have a label, but the children know that that's where they put anything that they've written on, so that I can check it later.)

General Skills for DS2 is just crayons, paper, a book or two, and some early learning activities. For the older children, it has different stuff on different days -- logic puzzles, health/safety worksheets to cover our portfolio requirements, stationery on days they need to write a thank-you note or something, BrainQuest and Comprehensive Curriculum workbook pages (to reinforce skills and to cover grammar/spelling), etc.

Specials are things like religious biography, art, music, etc. We do those together. We also do history and science together, though I might assign DD an extra book to read to go with history or science.

Memory work and typing don't have workboxes. I also haven't managed to get to those yet this year. :) (We also haven't added writing, science, or specials yet this year.)

I stack each child's workboxes next to his or her workspace each day. They can do reading independently and general skills too, though sometimes DS1 needs help with a word or two. When it's each child's turn to work with me, one-on-one, that child brings all workboxes that require my attention to my desk. Sometimes I just keep the ones that I know need my help at my desk in the morning.

We do the together subjects whenever it's convenient for me, depending on what the baby's doing. If he's happily playing on the floor, I usually use that time to work one-on-one with someone; if he's ready to nurse, I'll move to the rocking chair in the same room and read history (or science or whatever) while I nurse him. That gives the older children a bit of a break from their independent work. We try to do bigger, messier floor projects while the baby's napping. :)

This year I plan to try to use a workbox/packet system. I have a cart with 4 drawers on it (2 small and 2 large). I have 2 kids that are old enough to school so each has a small and large drawer. I plan to make packets for paperwork and put books we need to read in the large drawer. This way my 6 yr old can pull out a packet and we can get right to work and his 4 yr old sister can pull out a packet and work on preschool activities.

I have just finished (hallelujah!) my planning of our year and I used a milk crate w/ hanging files, labeled by the week. This is our first year of schooling (other than PreK which hardly counts) and my first year of using the crate system, so I will have a better review/idea of how it works in, oh, 6 months! I am planning to do a detailed blog post on it soon and can send you the link if you are interested. I think this will be an effective way for me to operate during this season of life--I needed something simple, straightforward, etc. because I'm going to be dealing with a lot of chaos (a sister who will live w/ us for a month, a major home renovation, and a 19 month old little sister who NEVER stops). I needed my own version of 'open and go!'

I'm really excited about it so far. It was work to set up, but not THAT bad (maybe 7-8 hours total?). I thought "for every minute I'm doing this now, I will save at least three minutes later in the year!" and that totally kept me trucking!

So. Time will tell. ;)