Menu

Anyone Dealing with Cognitive Disorder?

One of DD's diagnoses last month was Cognitive Disorder NOS with Working Memory Difficulties. Is anyone else here dealing with this? Just wondering what you are doing to help your child with it. I don't think the Neuropsychologist was too keen on me homeschooling DD and she really didn't go into too much detail on what I can do to help DD. Her long term memory is great but it's her short term memory that is the issue. I am looking for advice from those who have BTDT. Maybe any mental type exercises I can do with her and also advice on what curriculum you used that worked well for you. DD is 7 and will be starting at the Kindergarten level this year. She is about 2 years behind but just catching up slowly at her own pace. Her IQ is within the normal range. She is capable of doing the work but it will just be harder for her and will take more time and effort.

Susie

DD Dallas (7)

Jiangxi, China

I don't have any good advice, I tend to just "feel my way" with regard to what works for DS. You might consider visual aids, etc. if short term memory is a problem. For instance, instead of expecting Ds to remember math facts, I allow him access to charts, etc. to get the math facts when he needs them to work a problem.

For reading, I might use flashcards that feature the letter sound and an image to help the child remember that sound and allow access to the cards during reading time. I wouldn't require memorization drills or timed tests.

My son (newly 8) was just diagnosed with Cognitive Disorder NOS, (Along with Developmental Coordination Disorder and ADHD), presumably from hypoxia at birth. He has also been diagnosed with Mixed Expressive Receptive Language Disorder. I haven't seen the written report but in our feedback appointment the neuropsych mentioned short term memory encoding problems. Like your daughter, he has normal intelligence and is working about 2 years behind. He also has very low processing speed.

The neuropsych recommended cognitive therapy/training and the specific programs will be in the full written report we should get next week.

I don't have a lot of wisdom but just wanted to chime in that we are dealing with the same thing. We are doing speech and occupational therapy and are definitely going to be looking into the cognitive training.

My DD just completed CogMed for working memory deficits (resulting from an anoxic brain injury) and she did great! Her working memory showed a 36 percent increase! We are praying that the increase shows in her schoolwork in the fall. I highly recommend the program, as well as the neurofeedback we did along with it. Not cheap by any means, but it has helped her tremendously.

We are going to try this with our 16 yr ds with MR. Have you used it?

Yes, my DD used the summer intensive program two years ago. She did great on it! I wish we'd done it longer, but I started her with a dyslexia tutor (which was intensive too). Didn't have enough time in the day to do all the therapies!

The PACES program is supposed to be very good as well as the home computer program of BrainSkills. We need to work on vision first but these may be in our future as well.

It is frustrating the neuropsych was not more helpful with practical tips. Others her can probably help. Another thing I heard of is Nueronet.

Some things for you goat least check out:)

Paula

Yes, my DD used the summer intensive program two years ago. She did great on it! I wish we'd done it longer, but I started her with a dyslexia tutor (which was intensive too). Didn't have enough time in the day to do all the therapies!

Good to hear from someone who has done it. School is a huge struggle for my son but we didn't know about the MR until this year. Although the diagnosis was shocking, to say the least, it explains lot.

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with this software program? it is an online subscription program costing $25 per month. It is supposed to address memory issues along with a plethora of other problems. I have been looking at this for our adopted dd16 who struggles significantly across the board. The only thing we have used so far for cognitive training is Audiblox. I do recommend it as it helped dd16 but in no way was a cure-all.

http://www.challenging-our-minds.com/

Gina

Gina,

I was just coming to post that the specific home based program recommended by our neuropsych was Neuropsychonline/Challenging Our Minds. I have no personal experience with it at all but it is the one he recommended. He also mentioned Cogmed and FastForward for therapist provided programs.

I'm not sure which direction we are going to go.

They have a home version, now an online version too. My daughter enjoyed most of the programs.

Good to hear from someone who has done it. School is a huge struggle for my son but we didn't know about the MR until this year. Although the diagnosis was shocking, to say the least, it explains lot.