Menu

After 2 yrs. how clean should I leave an apt.?

I'm definitely going to clean, but after two years how clean do I have to clean?

The carpet definitely wasn't new when we moved in. In fact, I strongly suspect that it's about five years old. And it's not high quality. (In fact, the company is now putting in much higher quality carpet I've noticed when tenants leave.)

The walls were painted with what must be the cheapest paint on the planet. If you just touch the paint, a smudge shows up. I'm really not overemphasizing.

So, my question is: after two years do I need to do touch-up painting? We haven't gouged the walls or caused any damage, but my sons rooms definitely need fresh paint.

And I know they paint the entire unit when a tenant leaves.

Of course, I'll thoroughly clean the kitchen, fridge, stove, bathrooms, patio, ceiling blade fans -- I will clean; I'm not trying to get out of it.

I'm just wondering how strict the apt. staff can be after two years.

And thank you!

Alley

I used the services of a house cleaner when we moved out of an apartment once. She specialized in "move outs." See if there is anyone like that in your area and ask what they normally do. But also, your landlord should give you a list- I've seen lists specifying things with particular amounts next to them.

I used the services of a house cleaner when we moved out of an apartment once. She specialized in "move outs." See if there is anyone like that in your area and ask what they normally do. But also, your landlord should give you a list- I've seen lists specifying things with particular amounts next to them.

Yes, I completely agree, but I know legality comes into it. . . at least it did in my last state. . . for example, an apt. complex couldn't charge if the carpet is two years or older.

That's the kind of thing I'm wondering about -- sorry if I didn't ask my question well.

Are there laws that govern what a landlord can expect? Because, let's face it, they'd love to come into an apt. w/ a fresh carpet and fresh walls!

Alley

Edited by Alicia64

Is there any language in your lease about this? I've lived in a bunch of apartments and this info is usually in there. The most common standard I've seen is "broom-swept," -- meaning, basically, take all of your stuff with you and don't leave the place a total wreck -- but I've also seen others (requiring, e.g., a professional cleaning).

And yes, landlord-tenant law in your state almost certainly governs what a landlord can reasonably require, but you'd have to look up the specifics. ETA: I just looked and it seems as though nolo.com has a pretty thorough treatment of this issue. Look under "tenants."

Edited by JennyD

Document, document, document what you can about the condition you leave it in when you move out. Take pictures, etc.

I would read the landlord/tenant handbook for your state and familiarize yourself with the law and what the LL can deduct from the deposit for. This really varies, and not all LLs comply with the law. Some states exempt "typical wear" to carpet, for example. If you live in a big city, sometimes they have a tenants' rights office that can provide you with assistance or clarification. Some cities have their own tenant/LL laws too, I believe.

Definitely document!

Reread your lease and check that what is in there is legal, because sometimes there are terms in there that are outside of the law for your state. For example, it may not even be legal to require a "professional" cleaning specifically (just mentioning that since a PP brought it up). You may also want to brush up on what type of documentation the LL has to provide you if he or she is going to deduct money out of your security deposit. Look into how long they have to return any remaining deposit, etc. as well so you are prepared in case your LL is not complying with the law (BTDT with a rental we were in 2 years ago).

eta: some complexes and LLs use a check sheet. I would ask to be there when they walk through for that if you can arrange it. I would ask for a copy of that type of sheet in advance if you can manage. That way you have some idea of what they'll be looking for.