Menu

What animal did my husband/kids hear outside their tent?

My son had been popping snacks in the air and trying to catch them in his mouth - so they had goldfish crackers littered all about the camp site. I had warned them not to leave food scattered.

Anyway, in the middle of the night they heard loud slurping noises for 2 hours. They stayed still inside the tent. My husband could hear it milling about the campsite until it left. He even felt the tarp underneath tugging as it came right up to the tent slurping. He said the slurping sound was very loud - wasn't sure it could be a racoon making all that noise. My kids eventually went to sleep!!

What animal do you think would spend 2 hours around one campsite slurping, without disturbing the tent???

NC/Virginia border state park. I'm afraid it was a bear, but I'm paranoid. I don't think a bear would hang out for 2 hours for spilled crackers? The slurping sounds were loud. Do racoons and possums slurp loudly? :bigear:

NC/Virginia border state park. I'm afraid it was a bear, but I'm paranoid. I don't think a bear would hang out for 2 hours for spilled crackers? The slurping sounds were loud. Do racoons and possums slurp loudly? :bigear:

Well, racoons and possums eat more with their paws, so I'm not sure where the slurping would have come from in that case. Bears do a lot of snuffling on the ground, but I'm not sure it would sound like slurping, though. And bears are pigs, at least from what I've seen around here. If there's food, they'll stick around until it's gone.

Well, racoons and possums eat more with their paws, so I'm not sure where the slurping would have come from in that case. Bears do a lot of snuffling on the ground, but I'm not sure it would sound like slurping, though. And bears are pigs, at least from what I've seen around here. If there's food, they'll stick around until it's gone.

I had a bear go through my garbage...he licked the cottage cheese container clean but left the discarded leftovers strewn all over the sidewalk. I knew my boys didn't like it, but I didn't think it was that bad!

Eeeep! In that area, a bear is a possibility. They'll hang around and eat ANYTHING--including something as nasty as toothpaste :tongue_smilie:. That's why they say not to keep anything in your tent that has a scent. Things like deodorant or lotion. I would think they would have heard more snuffling if it was a bear, than "slurping". I don't know if raccoons slurp, but I still vote raccoon :001_smile:.

I think that if were a bear they would have known it. We had a bear spend about a week hanging out on the other side of our fence and could hear a loud growly breathing and huffing sound from it. Did they check for footprints or scat? That is the best way to figure it out. A bear print is pretty distinctive. Was there any liquid it was slurping?

In bear country, they need to be more careful.