Menu

Just started my Coursera classes!

Technically they started on Monday but I only got around to them on Friday :glare: Here's the link if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyone else taking any? Right now I'm doing the Introduction to Finance and supposed to be doing the Sci Fi & Fantasy one, but I'm not sure if I'll have time for that yet.

Random thoughts:

Pursuing my own education makes me feel happy in a way. It's been a long time since I sat in on a lecture, took notes, tried to solve problems, etc. The professor is funny and has some real good insights on life, not just finance. I'm really enjoying it. I lucked out that this first week is pretty much a review of stuff I already learned in a class I took many years ago, so at least passing this week's assignment shouldn't be too hard. I was worried I would fail the first assignment because I got such a late start on it.

And then I feel guilty. The professor said the class should take about 5-10 hours a week in order to pass. That's 5-10 hours a week (even more if I stick with the Sci Fi one) on just myself. I can't clean while listening to lectures, I can't write my articles and earn $$ while listening to them, heck I can't even crochet Christmas presents while listening because I have to take notes. It's a weird feeling. I know it will help my family someday when the kids are ready to learn that kind of thing, but I feel like it's wasting time right now because it doesn't benefit my family.

I don't often see things through; I tend to quit in the middle. So I am hoping to see something through to the end and hopefully get my passing certificate for the course. That will be a weird feeling too, getting a small recognition for doing something. Right now all I get is a "Mmmm, Mommy this is a good dinner," from Digby.

And then there's the other things I should be doing but am not. The house is almost always a disaster, the dishes are never done, I don't spend any time exercising or reading scriptures or praying or meditating or doing the things I ought to. I'm worried that these classes will just make my chaotic life more chaotic, but I still like them. So more guilt.

Anyone else have any thoughts about their classes? What are you taking and how's it going so far? How are you managing life and homeschooling? Do you feel guilty? How do you push that aside for something you know is worthwhile?

Good for you! I, too, just signed up for a class last month. I thought since it is just a three month class I could hang in there. My pacing is really off, I haven't had any communication from the instructor, so I don't know how I'm doing. In the meantime, I just tell myself to take the long view and then a day at a time, which sounds like they conflict, but somehow it's working. I've been able to get some classwork done and procrastinate the housework. Then I'll take a couple of days to catch up and leave my class to catch up another day. Homeschooling is just happening a couple hours a day right now, so that's why I decided to jump in to it. I knew the kids wouldn't need as much attention.

Wow, that was a real ramble. Hope it helps. Hang in there! You can do it!

Are the lectures recorded? I would like to take the science fiction class and I think there's a world music class scheduled for later in the year. With my crazy schedule, there's no way I can attend live classes.

Yes, they are recorded. I've watched all the lectures for the finance class in the past 24 hours (not recommended :glare:). Go ahead and sign up for the Sci Fi class, the first assignment is due on Tuesday. It's an essay and we have to do a peer review by Thursday :willy_nilly:

Good for you! I, too, just signed up for a class last month. I thought since it is just a three month class I could hang in there. My pacing is really off, I haven't had any communication from the instructor, so I don't know how I'm doing. In the meantime, I just tell myself to take the long view and then a day at a time, which sounds like they conflict, but somehow it's working. I've been able to get some classwork done and procrastinate the housework. Then I'll take a couple of days to catch up and leave my class to catch up another day. Homeschooling is just happening a couple hours a day right now, so that's why I decided to jump in to it. I knew the kids wouldn't need as much attention.

Wow, that was a real ramble. Hope it helps. Hang in there! You can do it!

You might wants to check the discussion forums for your class to get some feedback. I know my finance professor said to not contact him, not because he doesn't love us (and it's really neat. I truly do feel his love for us and the subject come through in his lectures. He's amazing) But he just does not have time so to take full advantage of the forums. Which class are you taking? Are you enjoying it so far?

I realized I would probably have tons of time if I gave up WTM and FB :glare: Dislike!

My first assignment in Wheelock Latin through a study list is due in two weeks. I did decide to drop the Sci Fi course through Coursera (to much religion for me) but I am looking forward to the History course starting in September. I am still working with AoPS Algebra. Needless to say some days are better than others. :)

Yes, the house could be cleaner, but I refuse to be guilty about it. In the long run my education will benefit my children's education. I think Latin is going to be the hardest for me to stick with, I won't be done until April of 2014.

You should be proud of yourself, your education is worthwhile.

Edited by melmichigan

I'm a Coursera drop out! I signed up for the Sci Fi class but, seriously, it was just a ridiculous amount of work in a very short time. The reading alone was insane, much less writing a decent essay and grading 4 others. There is no way I have the time for that!

I'm another Coursera drop out, multiple times. :tongue_smilie:The courses sound really interesting. I thought it would be a great idea during the summer, since I always get frustrated that I can't take more classes at my university (stupid credit limits... :glare: I get permission to take overload every semester, and they still only let me take so many.... :lol:) I just love taking classes, and learning in the context of a course.

But, I realized that one of the things I treasure most about my summers is the time I have with DD. Even though I'm only away about 20 hours a week during the school year, and my semesters (2 a year) are actually only 14 weeks each, I love the time with her. When it came down to "Do I want to sit down and enjoy Old Yeller with DD or listen to this lecture?" it was an easy answer... (except... why didn't anyone warn me about Old Yeller?!?!?! :001_huh: I didn't realize how it ended. So sad.)

ETA: Not saying that everyone should feel this way, or that anyone is being selfish by trying to take these classes. But in my situation, I already get loads of education outside of home schooling. I think the Coursera courses are great for lots of people, especially SAHM. Just not me, not right now.

Edited by EducationX2

I'm too late for the Intro to Finance one. I did just sign up for the Roman & Greek Mythology Course that will be starting in September. DD#1 wants to sign up for the Equine Nutrition course (months away). I wanted to sign up for the 1300 CE to Present History course, but the text is new, expensive, and not anywhere online for free (or cheap). I didn't see one for Family Herbalist. Sustainability also looked interesting (can you imagine? Mother of eight taking a course on Sustainability...I think I would have to keep my mouth shut and hide my background during portions of the class).

Edited by mommaduck

I'm too late for the Intro to Finance one. I did just sign up for the Roman & Greek Mythology Course that will be starting in September. DD#1 wants to sign up for the Equine Nutrition course (months away). I wanted to sign up for the 1300 CE to Present History course, but the text is new, expensive, and not anywhere online for free (or cheap). I didn't see one for Family Herbalist.

check half.com for the previous edition. it was super cheap