Menu

Grain/Gluten Free Low Carb Breakfast Casserole

I was playing around this am and made a casserole. It was yummy and pretty easy and I think a recipe that will be easy to tweak. I think you could easily leave out the meat or cheese if desired and add extra veggies as well without it effecting anything much. I used zucchini as that is what I had on hand and it worked wonderfully you couldn't really taste it at all. I'd like to try the potato as I bet it would be yummy but the zucchini was great and the kids didn't even notice it either.

Crust

3 c. shredded zucchini (or sub sweet potato/potato)

3T. Butter, coconut oil or other oil of choice

Filling

5 Large Eggs

1/2 c. -1 c. cheese/optional (I used 1/2 c.)

1/2 c. - Milk (I used coconut)

1/2 c. -sausage or bacon ( I used bacon)

1/2c. - 1 c. chopped veggies (I used 1/2 c. tomato, bell pepper and onion sauteed)

1/2 t. salt (you might want to modify depending on what meat you use and how salty it is.

1/4 t. pepper

Pan- I used an 8x11 and my times are for that.

1. Shred veggies- I used zucchini so I shredded and then laid it on a towel to squeeze the extra liquid out. Spread out grated veggies in pan and drizzle butter/oil over the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

2. Chop veggies and saute if desired, cook meat if using and chop.

3. Mix, eggs, milk, meat, veggies, salt and pepper.

4. Pour egg mixture over cooked crust. Bake for 15-25 minutes.

It's not a casserole, but it is quick and easy.

Cut a circle of bread the size of the bottom of the muffin cup and place in bottom of muffin pan cup. You could just a rice bread or whatever alternative.

Either 1/2 cook a slice of bacon and then place around edge of muffin cup, between bread and sides OR use precooked bacon. I used precooked bacon. It's yummy, but I don't know if it meets your gluten issues. Depends on fillers I suspect. So check label?

Crack 1 egg into center.

Cook in oven at 375' for 10 minutes or less depending on egg preference.

Use a spoon to pull from edge and lift out. Easy.

This is awesome here and way way faster than making eggs and bacon for everyone on the cooktop and it tastes good. Added bonus is if ppl will eat a less easy egg, then they are an in the van breakfast in 10 minutes., 20 including filling the muffin the pans.

Ya, I don't really do bread, there is hardly any gf bread here and even then what there is here is $3-$4.50 for a very small loaf. I can make bread but then of course it is extra time and effort and the zucchini or potato is much cheaper and easier than making a loaf of bread, so I wanted a casserole without any bread.

Ya, I don't really do bread, there is hardly any gf bread here and even then what there is here is $3-$4.50 for a very small loaf. I can make bread but then of course it is extra time and effort and the zucchini or potato is much cheaper and easier than making a loaf of bread, so I wanted a casserole without any bread.

Okay...

Hmmm

You know what might be a good substitute? A bit of hash browns? Just a thin layer pressed into the bottom of the muffin cup?

Okay...

Hmmm

You know what might be a good substitute? A bit of hash browns? Just a thin layer pressed into the bottom of the muffin cup?

Ya, that was what I was thinking when I used the shredded zucchini. I like making it all in one pan though as it is easier for me to clean. I always make homemade hashbrowns anyway, so it is just as easy to shred potatoes as it is zucchini and I have zucchini right now from the garden(and it is low carb and free!).

Ya, that was what I was thinking when I used the shredded zucchini. I like making it all in one pan though as it is easier for me to clean. I always make homemade hashbrowns anyway, so it is just as easy to shred potatoes as it is zucchini and I have zucchini right now from the garden(and it is low carb and free!).

A low carb option would be to use a thin slice of ham or Canadian bacon to line the muffin cup.

Thanks! Yum! Going to try it for dinner tomorrow. :)

I was playing around this am and made a casserole. It was yummy and pretty easy and I think a recipe that will be easy to tweak. I think you could easily leave out the meat or cheese if desired and add extra veggies as well without it effecting anything much. I used zucchini as that is what I had on hand and it worked wonderfully you couldn't really taste it at all. I'd like to try the potato as I bet it would be yummy but the zucchini was great and the kids didn't even notice it either.

Crust

3 c. shredded zucchini (or sub sweet potato/potato)

3T. Butter, coconut oil or other oil of choice

Filling

5 Large Eggs

1/2 c. -1 c. cheese/optional (I used 1/2 c.)

1/2 c. - Milk (I used coconut)

1/2 c. -sausage or bacon ( I used bacon)

1/2c. - 1 c. chopped veggies (I used 1/2 c. tomato, bell pepper and onion sauteed)

1/2 t. salt (you might want to modify depending on what meat you use and how salty it is.

1/4 t. pepper

Pan- I used an 8x11 and my times are for that.

1. Shred veggies- I used zucchini so I shredded and then laid it on a towel to squeeze the extra liquid out. Spread out grated veggies in pan and drizzle butter/oil over the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

2. Chop veggies and saute if desired, cook meat if using and chop.

3. Mix, eggs, milk, meat, veggies, salt and pepper.

4. Pour egg mixture over cooked crust. Bake for 15-25 minutes.