Menu

Could you compare "Educating the Wholehearted Child" to "Lifestyle of Learning"?

I'm expecting to receive "Educating the Wholehearted Child" in the mail today, and I'm also interested in "Wisdom's Way of Learning/Lifestyle of Learning" by Marilyn Howshall.

1. Are these two homeschool philosophies compatible?

2. How are they alike?

3. How are they different?

I'm specifically interested in knowing if they are similar in their approach.

Even if you are only familiar with one of them, I'd love to hear your impressions. We are using Heart of Dakota right now, and we do like it ... but I sometimes think that it would be better to tailor each child's education more, and learn together as a family. I really want our education to be based on Christ as a foundation and to focus first on relationships and character. But I'm not quite sure how to make that happen.

Thanks in advance for any help and information you can give me! :001_smile:

I really want our education to be based on Christ as a foundation and to focus first on relationships and character. But I'm not quite sure how to make that happen.

I'm not familiar with the other book you mentioned, but I think Educating the Whole Hearted Child will give you a lot of ideas towards reaching this goal. I love that book!

I'm not familiar with the other book you mentioned, but I think Educating the Whole Hearted Child will give you a lot of ideas towards reaching this goal. I love that book!

Thanks!:001_smile:

I did receive that book in the mail today and have given it a cursory glance. What I'm seeing looks good so far for helping me meet my goals for my family!

Anyone else have opinions?:bigear:

I read both books years ago. I think they do complement each other. I would encourage you to read both. I did, as well as hearing both Marilyn Howshall and Sally Clarkson in person. I gleaned many good things which I applied to my own version of what ends up as a classical homeschool program based upon The Well Trained Mind and Tapestry of Grace which my children do via independent study for the most part. :lol:

Graze through books. Chew what works for you, spit out the rest. You will end up with something that works for YOUR unique family. :)

I read both books years ago. I think they do complement each other. I would encourage you to read both. I did, as well as hearing both Marilyn Howshall and Sally Clarkson in person. I gleaned many good things which I applied to my own version of what ends up as a classical homeschool program based upon The Well Trained Mind and Tapestry of Grace which my children do via independent study for the most part. :lol:

Graze through books. Chew what works for you, spit out the rest. You will end up with something that works for YOUR unique family. :)

Good advice! Thanks! :001_smile: It's true that everyone (hopefully) ends up with a very unique style that works for their particular family.

I have found that with most homeschooling books, there's some to take and some to toss.

Did you read Marilyn's "Wisdom's Way of Learning" book? I've heard that the older, all-in-one, edition is more comprehensive than the separate booklets that are available now. At the moment I just have a "get-acquainted" publication and one of the booklets called something like Developing a Lifestyle Routine.

• 5 months later...

I have been reading both books (and several others :tongue_smilie: ) ... just googled these two together to see if anyone had already discussed the comparison. I'm attempting to match the best parts of both and come up with an approach that suits us.

Would love to know how you've gone with it, Heart_Mom, and anything you've learned in the process of trying. TIA.