Menu

Experienced Sonlighters: What supplies do need?

Lara in Colo

I have ordered SL cores (with science) but I won't be getting them for at least another week. The school supply sales are now.

I don't know how to organize the SL stuff.

Do I need spiral notebooks for each subject?

Do I need composition books?

Would pocket folders with prongs be best for making a copies of the LA and Science pages?

I have seen one mom's stuff that has everything in a huge binder (from SL) and lots of pockets for the individual subjects (I am leaning this way).

I have been told it is better to break things down into smaller 1.5 inch binders (better for my small hands). So maybe a month at a time?

What do I buy??

Tell me what you do.

If it matters, I have 4 children, two cores.

WH1 for the littles

WH1 for the bigs.

I did this so we could stay on the same page historically so to speak.

Lara

Edited by Lara in Colo

I had each IG for each subject in its own binder (originally got the newcomer pack when dd was in K.) Now the core and LA is together. Science is still separate.

This year, I went ahead and purchased SL's big binder and will keep everything in it and pull out one month at a time into a smaller binder (bought them for $0.50 each at Office Depot today!) Someone on the SL forums gave me the idea of using a page protector over the worksheets so that I can reuse the sheets later (then I don't have to photocopy them.)

I don't know what WH1 is...

I am doing core F and core A this year. As far as supplies, I bought the general stuff like crayons, colored pencils, a few binders, markers. You don't need a notebook for each subject or anything. I like the 1 inch binders that are on sale right now to keep their worksheets stored for the year. I do usually copy mine...so definitely buy some copy paper and ink. Office Depot has HP ink on sale this week (buy 2 get 1 free.)

HTH! Welcome to Sonlight...we love it!

Congratulations! We love Sonlight!

I have used SL from the start and am using Cores H, E, and parts of C this year.

I usually get a 1 inch binder for each child for science. We don' us SL's LA anymore, but when we did I got a 1 inch binder for each child for that as well.

It's a good idea to get another small binder for yourself to put one month in at a time, along with all the notes and such. The big binder is very nice, but a little much to lug around. :001_smile:

Mostly I buy pencils, inexpensive notebooks (they use them for math, and some writing assignments), whiteboards (and markers) - which I use for spelling, Latin vocab. and with math.

Hope you have a fun, great year!! :D

I have the big Sonlight binder for the schedules and dd has her own binder for the work. Dd's 3 ring binder (2" I believe) is divided into different subjects (math, la, science,grammar, handwriting....) Dd does all her la work on loose leaf paper or on worksheets (handwriting, grammar, science). At the end of the week I sort her work for the week and put it in the binder. Oh over the weekend I put the next week's assignments in the front pocket of the binder this way each day we just pull out what we need for worksheets.

As we do our daily work I just keep the Sonlight binder open to the week we are working on. I normally put the science right behind the la schedule so I can see what we are supposed to be doing at a glance. I do cut up all the timeline figures and keep those in a plastic bag in the Sonlight binder. Occassionally dd has need a lab book so we just have a composition notebook that she keeps working in for that.

I use the pocket folders with prongs for the science. All the questions in one notebook worked well for the dc's. They might be good for LA too.

Dd14 is doing core 200. I have broke things down for her in pocket folders. Schedule in one. Lit guides in another. Catechism in another. Etc. I think I have six folders in all. Much easier for her to handle.