Menu

Do you allow your children in your bed? why/ why not?

I was absolutely terrified of the dark until about age 10/11, and my parents thought I was ridiculous. I was never allowed in their room and I spent most nights awake and scared. I vowed I would not do that to my kids. They are allowed in our room unless we are in there with the door locked. Sometimes they come in there to sleep during the night, and sometimes they don't. I know they will, all too soon, spend every night in their rooms so it doesn't bother me.

ETA: When they do come in during the night, they sleep on the floor. Dh and I share a full size bed and there just is not enough room for everyone.

Open door policy . . .as long as the door was open. We did lock for privacy. No child was ever turned away from the big bed. They were in and out of the big bed from birth to age 3. No regrets. The kids are 12 and 15 now and those snuggly days went WAY too fast. I say let them climb in until they don't want to anymore. :)

My kids aren't allowed in my room. They are supposed to knock before opening the door. My 11 year old just walked in on my husband and I a few months ago. Usually we lock the door but that time we forgot. Maybe she'll take the knocking rule more seriously now. :p I know we haven't forgotten to lock the door once since then.

Our bed has been the kids bed since we had them :glare: Each one graduates and new one appears ;) The oldest two sleep in their beds, but if we are still in bed in the morning when everyone wakes up they all jump in. And in the evening if we are reading in there they all hop in. But now that we just got a king bed, I am kicking myself we did not get one sooner. What a difference it makes!

I do however not allow the kids to romp on the bed during the day or when friends are over. I just think being all over beds with your clothing you have had on all day is gross.

We co sleep with them until they sleep throuh the night. Then they come into our room often for who knows what reason that they wake up in the middle of the night. We just pull them up into bed with us and go to sleep. We prob have a kid with us every other night at some point. We also put them in bed with us if they wake early. It will sometimes buy us 30 more minutes of sleep. :D

Our room is open all day long to them. Toy box in the room as well.

My warmest memories of growing up are how all 7 of us would routinely join my parents in bed (daytime) just to chat- all lounging around. It is where we would somehow all congregate together even as adults.