Menu

Cheapest place to get a very large whiteboard?

Halcyon

I don't know about a white board, but a friend of mine thinks that a pane of glass makes the perfect "white" board. She has one framed in her dining (school) room. Maybe she has something white behind it for contrast? I'm not sure about this.

I just did a quick search and found this:

http://blog.makezine.com/2008/12/19/how-to-glass-dry-erase-board/

ETA: Just thinking this might be a cheaper way of getting the size board you want.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

I have been looking for a while, and this is the one I have been watching:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ZW7H8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&smid=AQNACJEM8PUJ1

The reviews are all over the place because of them getting damaged in shipping, but this seller (Shoplet) seems to have the best track record. But when I just checked it to post it here, the price had gone up! It has been up and down for weeks now, sometimes a higher price with free shipping, and sometimes a lower price with shipping at about $5.00. So I just keep watching it........

I have been looking for a while, and this is the one I have been watching:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ZW7H8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&smid=AQNACJEM8PUJ1

The reviews are all over the place because of them getting damaged in shipping, but this seller (Shoplet) seems to have the best track record. But when I just checked it to post it here, the price had gone up! It has been up and down for weeks now, sometimes a higher price with free shipping, and sometimes a lower price with shipping at about $5.00. So I just keep watching it........

This has already gone down in price again since I posted. It was in the high 40's earlier and now it is down to $42.70 with free shipping.

I'll only say that I made my own blackboard and am not totally thrilled with it. I used a super high quality smooth board for it (forgot what it's called) and it's not like a real blackboard. It's ok to write on it, but erasing it is so difficult!

So I'm kinda leery about the whole make the whiteboard yourself thing.

:iagree: I just want to buy something that wipes off well and will last. I know I can do it myself for cheaper, but I don't want to. :tongue_smilie: So I guess I should have asked "cheapest whiteboard that I can buy".

Has anyone tried this with the magnetic paint underneath? :bigear:

Yes, it is fine with magnetic underneath. They also have a clear available as an industrial product if you have a way to get your hands on that. It uses heavy duty chemicals though so be sure to follow the instructions if you go that route. Then you put the magnetic as the first layer, follow up with a decor-complementing shade of interior latex and top layer is clear. Magnetic dry erase board that nobody can see.

:iagree: I just want to buy something that wipes off well and will last. I know I can do it myself for cheaper, but I don't want to. :tongue_smilie: So I guess I should have asked "cheapest whiteboard that I can buy".

We have this one from Costco, but box office stores usually carry that size instock. Watch for % off coupons for educators to get it cheaper.

I bought a magnetic whiteboard at Office Max yesterday for $30. It is 23" x 35" (so an inch short of being 2' x 3'). I don't have a lot of wall space, so I wanted to put it on an easel, but I can't find an easel that is reasonable. The heavy duty ones at Office Max were $100! Any suggestions?

I bought a magnetic whiteboard at Office Max yesterday for $30. It is 23" x 35" (so an inch short of being 2' x 3'). I don't have a lot of wall space, so I wanted to put it on an easel, but I can't find an easel that is reasonable. The heavy duty ones at Office Max were $100! Any suggestions?

Sam's has an easel. It was very inexpensive (compared to $100).

Yes, it is fine with magnetic underneath. They also have a clear available as an industrial product if you have a way to get your hands on that. It uses heavy duty chemicals though so be sure to follow the instructions if you go that route. Then you put the magnetic as the first layer, follow up with a decor-complementing shade of interior latex and top layer is clear. Magnetic dry erase board that nobody can see.

That sounds so cool. Where would I go about getting the clear white board stuff? I mean, do you have a brand name or anything? We are moving next month and I have the perfect wall for something like that.

That sounds so cool. Where would I go about getting the clear white board stuff? I mean, do you have a brand name or anything? We are moving next month and I have the perfect wall for something like that.

It is sold by rustoleum under their professional products. Most small businesses would be able to purchase it if you know somebody that owns a business. I have no idea what retail price is. Idea paint sells a version as well but it is super expensive and the quality is lower.

http://www.whiteyboard.com/products/clear-dry-erase-paint.html

Would this be it? That looks awesome!!!!

Yes, that's the Idea Paint version. It also contains some serious chemicals so be careful. I would expect the quality to be sufficient for home use if it's not in direct sunlight and you are not especially concerned with a very small amount of yellowing over the course of 5-10 yrs.

It is sold by rustoleum under their professional products. Most small businesses would be able to purchase it if you know somebody that owns a business. I have no idea what retail price is. Idea paint sells a version as well but it is super expensive and the quality is lower.

My sister owns a business. I wonder what the cost/quality difference is. I think I'll call my sister tonight and have her look into it tomorrow.

Yes, that's the Idea Paint version. It also contains some serious chemicals so be careful. I would expect the quality to be sufficient for home use if it's not in direct sunlight and you are not especially concerned with a very small amount of yellowing over the course of 5-10 yrs.

It would be on the only wall in the room that has a window, so it wouldn't get direct sunlight. If I chose a creamy color, maybe I wouldn't notice the yellowing much. I could have the French doors open (along that wall) to help with the chemicals. Maybe take the kids to a friends house.

Thanks for the information! I am very excited about this.