Menu

Teach like your hair is on fire/ Young Author's Project

moonlight

Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire by Rafe Esquith

This is such an interesting read..what have you taken away from this book?

What has really intrigued me is "The Young Author's Project." Has anyone tried having their child write a book? Any good resources out there to do this? it seems like a great way to cover grammar, editing, creative writing..

I am only halfway done with this book, but have already put his other books on my reading list...

Thanks...

The book in general looks very interesting (WTM forums seemed to have diminished my bank account lately with books :tongue_smilie: )

I'm aware it seem to be for elementary based students, but how elementary are we talking?

To get some good ideas out of this book, what is the youngest grade/rec's the child should have?

Just deciding whether its something to look at in the future, or would still be pertinent now

LOVE Rafe! Here's my reviews: Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire, Lighting Their Fires, There are No Shortcuts.

I love how he creates a culture for his students that is unique to HIS classroom; unique to the surrounding culture- both socially and academically.

He and Marva Collins have both inspired me to know more- be the resource for the kids, connect things for them- share your wealth of experience and knowledge. Learning is vibrant, not stale.

I love IEW for getting kids writing young. They basically take a source doc and re-write it. I used Fairty Tales, Myths and Fables with a group of 3rd graders this year and they all had a blast writing acutal stories.

I also read Lighting Their Fires and I get the two confused. But, what there are a couple of things that still linger with me some two years later. First, I learned that instead of just showing up for a field trip, it is important to prepare the kids for what they'll be seeing so it's more meaningful (simple, I know but I didn't get it before). Second, his Shakespeare projects were so simple...no costumes, no scenery....just performing/saying the lines and, as a result, infusing a love for Shakespeare.

... Has anyone tried having their child write a book? Any good resources out there to do this? it seems like a great way to cover grammar, editing, creative writing...

All of my five have done book plotting and writing as a major part of their English courses through junior high and high school. The youngest is the first to have actually finished and edited her book to the point of being publishable -- see my signature.

She has done the Young Writer's Program of NaNoWriMo for several years. It's a great program, and I recommend it. Do download their planning workbooks and let your children do some planning ahead of time (though they aren't supposed to start the actual writing until November).

She also enjoyed The Junior Secret Noveling Club, which she worked through with friends in a homeschool co-op a few years ago.