Menu

whooping cough??

My son woke up this morning with cough. It does come with "some" whooping sound. But 1. it is not sever cough. 2. The whooping is not always come with cough. he will just inhale for air and you can hear the whooping..

Is that whooping cough?? Just start this morning.

Oh no! I sure hope it is not whooping cough. My crew just slept through the night for the first time since early June. So I am declaring our victory over whooping cough as of today. It was a long, exhausting and emotional ride as all three children had the classic progression of illness.

During the first stage they were generally un-well and run down for a few days. They couldn't quite identify what was wrong they just were tired and a little stuffy with a minor sore throat. Then after a few days they had a dry, annoying little cough during the night when it seemed like they might just be having some pretty bad allergy symptoms. All of that lasted about a week and then the real battle started. My kiddos had the most unbelievable cough I had ever heard. It hurt me every time I heard them. They would cough for hours. My kids did not have the "whoop" but had other signs, such as disorting their face when they cough, turning red then purple, and vomited at the end the cough. The vomit would be either clear stringy mucus or actual contents of the stomach.

I know every case is different but this is how it went down with us. I have researched until I can almost call myself an expert so if you have any questions please feel to ask. Its such a difficult thing because there is absolutely nothing that can alleviate the symptoms.

If you think he may have been exposed and has any cough at all I would take him in to the doc. All they can really do is a round of antibiotics to cut short the amount of time he is contagious, even thought it does not necessarily change the progression of the disease. OUr health care providers had a really hard time identifying it, which I have heard is a common problem since they may not be coughing in the office and otherwise can seem well.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Edited to add: sorry about all typos it has been 6 weeks since we slept. LOL

Edited by Laurel T.
Typos

If he was perfectly fine last night and is now whooping not right after a cough, it sounds more like asthma and he should be seen right away. Google videos of stridor and see if that is more what it sounds like. Check the skin around his ribs and collar bone and see if they are sucking in with each breath. That is called retractions. :grouphug:

If he was perfectly fine last night and is now whooping not right after a cough, it sounds more like asthma and he should be seen right away. Google videos of stridor and see if that is more what it sounds like. Check the skin around his ribs and collar bone and see if they are sucking in with each breath. That is called retractions. :grouphug:

:iagree:

take him in. Have him swabbed. If it is whooping cough, the sooner they treat it, sinner he is no longer contagious....and I found my kids who were treated got better faster. If it is asthma, he needs to be treated....Whooping cough is a nightmare! I am hoping it is just a cold.

Has he been having cold symptoms or is this sudden? WC presents like a cold, then the cough starts. If he's been healthy and just woke up with a cough, I'd guess that he's ok. If not, get him to the Dr so they can start antibiotics.