Menu

Ellen Mchenry's cells and brain units with an 8yo?

thundersweet

Would this material be over a new 8yo's boys head? We are using Guest Hollow's Otter Science ( human body study) with him in the fall. I was thinking of adding in the Cells and Brain units as well. They look like lots of fun but I wonder if it's just too much. What ages did you use these units for? I was also thinking I could get them and have my 11yo dd join us. I know they would be perfect for her and surely ds would learn something along the way.

Sandy

I haven't seen the brains unit, so I can't speak to that...

Cells is aimed at middle school students -- probably 12 or 13 yr olds as an ideal. It's pretty awesome... and I have been using it with 10-11 yr old girls who are on the younger end of the age age range. It's not that you *couldn't* use it with an interested 8 yr old. It's more that I think your son (even if he's really advanced) would just get considerably more out of it if you waited a few years. The vocabulary and the questions and the activities are probably do-able with assistance... but I would hold off if you can.

We will be doing it at slightly younger, but for a passionate science girl. She wants to learn exactly HOW the body works, like how it makes the heart beat, for instance--how it creates the electrical charge and how that causes the contractions, etc, and she's willing to take a year on chemistry and cells to be able to understand the physiology better next year. Then we looked at the Brain sample and she wanted to do that RIGHTNOW just for fun. :lol: We read through the samples together before deciding.

If he's fine with the samples, I think he'd be fine with the program (guessing there, as we have only done the samples so far). I'd do Brain before Cells, as it's for a younger audience (and that's what I'll be doing, as well).

I can't comment on the original quesiton, but when I saw brain, I just had to share this link to a DIY brain hat-

http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/homeschool-freedownloads/lifesciences-games/brainhemishpere.php

ETA- too funny, I just saw that my link comes from the curriculum you are asking about... I'm a bit slow sometimes...

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland

Then we looked at the Brain sample and she wanted to do that RIGHTNOW just for fun. :lol: We read through the samples together before deciding.

If he's fine with the samples, I think he'd be fine with the program (guessing there, as we have only done the samples so far). I'd do Brain before Cells, as it's for a younger audience (and that's what I'll be doing, as well).

Can you (or someone) give me a link to the samples?

Can you (or someone) give me a link to the samples?

They are pdf downloads on each product description page. For instance, on the Brain e-book page, it has:

"The Brain; An introduction to neurology"

This digital version is identical to the hard copy except that you get it cheaper and faster.

FREE SAMPLE CHAPTERS:

Click here to download the first two chapters

Target age group: ages 8-13

etc, etc.