Menu

Secular character building curriculum/book?

mycalling

I am looking for something I can do with all of my children together. Something to spark conversation, outline what good moral character is and how to practice it. Any ideas of a curriculum or book that will do this without a biblical perspective?

Montessouri Services has soom interesting books about character. The one I am thinking about is called the Curriculuum of Love. They also have a conflict resolution section which I cannot remember the name of right now. In general, I think they strive to be all inclusive when it comes to faith.

Maybe this would help.

"THe Family Virtues Guide" by Linda Kavelin Popov

There are several chapters on parenting in a child-affirming way, and then there are 52 virtues, a brief chapter each. Each virtue has a brief entry on:

What is (whatever virtue being studied that week)

Why practice xxxxxxx

How Do You Practice It

What Would xxxx Look Like If....

Signs of Success

Affirmation

The book is not Christian, but not non-religious. There are quotations at the beginning of every virtue, and these are from a wide range of faiths, including Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam and Baha'i.

There are comments such as "Creativity is a way to use the spark of God within you" or "Courage comes from knowing God is there to help and that you can count on God always."

If you want something spiritual, but not specifically religious, I highly recommend this book. I picked it up used on Amazon for just a few bucks.

If you are looking for something with no mention of God or religion whatsoever, then this is not the book for you.

MIchelle T

We used "10-Minute Life Lessons for Kids," by Jamie Miller. It gives short, fun activities that we could all do and then discuss. I am also interested in, but haven't gotten yet, "If You Had to Choose, What Would You Do?" by Sandra McLeod Humphrey and Brian Strassburg. My understanding of that book is that it gives scenarios with moral delimas. It's a chance to talk about what you think is morally correct and discuss it with your children. Might be worth a look. My other plan is to find people in history who display a positive moral character, learn about them, and have discussions about what traits they have, how they live their lives, etc.

HTH,

For the past several years, we've used "Core Virtues: A Literature Based Program in Character Education" by Mary Beth Klee.

We spend about 10 minutes or so a day reading and talking about the books that pertain to the character trait we're currently working on. Good stuff (and easy, which is works for me!) :D