Menu

Testing for Dyslexia is it possible to get it for free?

Scottish Rite Clinics will do it for free, but there are not many clinics and sometimes the wait list is long. They are connected with Masonic lodges so if you know a Mason, they can usually get you the necessary referral and help with any travel expenses.

Local school systems do not test for dyslexia. They only test to determine if there is a lag in expected achievement and if that lag is enough for special services. Some educational psychologists will test for dyslexia, but not all. Our insurance paid for that testing with a referral from the pediatrician, but insurance coverage varies.

We lucked out. I suspected ds had dyslexia since he was 8. We never got formal testing because a basic battery of tests cost around $1500. About a month ago I found out about THIS and we jumped right on it. He did over 4 hours of testing last week and we should get the results before the end of the month. We were contacted again for him to come in for the EEG to further take part in their study. Only dyslexics are called back, so I think it's safe to assume he does have it. I won't know the extent of his dyslexia until the full report is finished, though.

This study is happening in NYC - less than 20 minutes from my house, as a matter of fact. If you're nowhere near here, see if any medical colleges near you are conducting similar studies. At least get your name in there to be contacted if something comes up.

Scottish Rite Clinics will do it for free, but there are not many clinics and sometimes the wait list is long. They are connected with Masonic lodges so if you know a Mason, they can usually get you the necessary referral and help with any travel expenses.

Local school systems do not test for dyslexia. They only test to determine if there is a lag in expected achievement and if that lag is enough for special services. Some educational psychologists will test for dyslexia, but not all. Our insurance paid for that testing with a referral from the pediatrician, but insurance coverage varies.

Some Scottish Rite clinics do not test for dyslexia. Ours does not. They will help here with the treatment but not testing for it.

I see this touted a lot on the boards but are we sure this is true for all chapters? I've been looking into it for a friend, and it looks like our local chapter supports speech therapy for young children (ages 2-7) instead. There is nothing on the site about dyslexia at all. I'm wondering if different chapters of the Scottish Rite choose different charity projects?

Edited by FairProspects

Some Scottish Rite clinics do not test for dyslexia. Ours does not. They will help here with the treatment but not testing for it.

I think the primary one for dyslexia testing must be in Dallas, which is near us. We did not use it, but did use a tutor trained there. Friends however did use them and had great results. They called a local Masonic lodge, not a clinic. Or maybe found someone that was an active Mason. They explained the situation and with this connection they were able to quickly receive an appointment and help with transportation/lodging.

Depends on the state. Our state does nothing, nothing, for homeschooled students. They will not even give an IQ test, much less any other diagnostics. It is a ticket to nowhere.

It is my understanding that if they are refusing to do an evaluation for a homeschooler they are breaking federal law. The Child Find portion of IDEA applies to all children, regardless of their current educational placement.

The key to getting the district to do what they are legally required to do is to make a request for an evaluation in writing and send it with appropriate tracking to the correct person within the district. IDEA states that an evaluation must be completed within 60 days, or earlier if state law specifies a shorter timeframe.

As for provision of services to a home educated child who has been identified with an eligible disability, that is dependent upon state law, and many states do not provide services. You can find information for your state at the state department of education website under the special ed section.

There are local advocacy services available for free or low cost that can help a parent navigate the process of getting an appropriate evaluation. For anyone in the situation of having to get some kind of evaluation for free, I recommend reading the special ed policies of the district at the district website. Sometimes there will be contact information provided for a parent advoacy group on the district website. If it's not provided and a google search doesn't turn up information, calling a local neuropsychlogist's office might help you get contact information for free advocacy help.

http://scottishrite.org/about/philanthropy-scholarships/ritecare-directory/location/florida/#clinicBox

Look up your local or nearby chapter and give them a call. I expect they are very busy with the new school year approaching.

Like I said earlier though, this varies by region. Only some Scottish Rite regions test for dyslexia, others help with speech issues for young children. I just think this needs to be clarified, since I feel like we are giving people (like my friend) false hope. In our region, they only work with young children (2-7) on speech therapy and don't do anything at all with literacy or dyslexia. I still think it is a great charity, but it is not free dyslexia testing.

Like I said earlier though, this varies by region. Only some Scottish Rite regions test for dyslexia, others help with speech issues for young children. I just think this needs to be clarified, since I feel like we are giving people (like my friend) false hope. In our region, they only work with young children (2-7) on speech therapy and don't do anything at all with literacy or dyslexia. I still think it is a great charity, but it is not free dyslexia testing.

Thank-you..I'll add your caveat when I recommend others.

Yes. They dont have to provide services but they absolutely must evaluate.

:iagree: That being said, when we tried to have evals done thru the school district they made it as difficult and as demeaning as possible. They did not want to help. A dear friend was a school board member at the time and was infuriated by how we were treated. It made the special ed director so mad that I knew the laws, knew the routine, and got a school board member involved after they were such jerks. We did eventually use a private evaluator, simply because I began to have doubts of how valid and accurate the results would be from the school. I have heard of accommodating schools, but not in my area.

Thank you. In our area, the clinic is 5 hours away and there are no clinics in our state actually. However, those who have really needed services have received them by contacting a member of the Masonic Lodge. I wonder if that is part of the difference. The clinics can't refer you on, but a Mason can?? Interesting....