Menu

Apologia Swimming Creatures - quick ?

abrightmom

Does the text give ideas for ongoing science projects? If so, what are they? I've heard about an "Ocean Box" or something close to that. :001_smile:

Is Swimming Creatures more interesting than Flying Creatures? While the texts are gorgeous I just couldn't get into Flying Creatures...

I haven't done this yet, but it's what we're planning to do for this year. I've scanned through the book, and there is an Ocean Box, which is a project that is done throughout the course. My friend has done this already and I've looked at her box. Her kids still love looking at it and playing with it. They made their ocean box three years ago and has lasted.

Does the text give ideas for ongoing science projects? If so, what are they? I've heard about an "Ocean Box" or something close to that. :001_smile:

Is Swimming Creatures more interesting than Flying Creatures? While the texts are gorgeous I just couldn't get into Flying Creatures...

According to my son, who used this book in 5th grade, it was the best book ever. He loved this book, carried it everywhere and when he walked into a room he would ask "Did you know?" then proceed to tell us a new fact he learned. He still talks about the book.

He did do the Apologia books on his own (for school) and was older so it could have something to do with how much they were enjoyed.

Thanks for enlightening me. My oldest will be 10 and he loves reading the books. We tried using the journals with Flying Creatures. It must be me because I just couldn't get into it.

But, Swimming looks fun (without the journals). I am very interested in the Ocean Box for the boys!

My DD loves her ocean box, but I just wanted to clarify that it is definitely an art project, not a science project....if that matters to you. Basically you cover a shoe box or slightly larger box with blue construction paper, then use clay, paper, cardboard, pipe cleaners, etc. to make models of all the animals you learn about to out in the box. That's all there is to it.

My DD loves her ocean box, but I just wanted to clarify that it is definitely an art project, not a science project....if that matters to you. Basically you cover a shoe box or slightly larger box with blue construction paper, then use clay, paper, cardboard, pipe cleaners, etc. to make models of all the animals you learn about to out in the box. That's all there is to it.

Thanks for clarifying. I DO want some sort of ongoing science project but an art project is also a good thing. We just need PROJECTS. :001_smile:

We're planning on using this next year. I haven't looked at the book yet (or even ordered a copy), but I was thinking of having them set up an aquarium as part of their science. We already have a 10-gallon in the basement. We used to have some of the 40 cent goldfish...they make great pets! :D

I was able to read some of the introduction last night. The ocean box is a project they start at the beginning at add the animals to it after each lesson. You can use clay, paper, what ever you want to make each animal but you basically set-up the box at the beginning.

It does also say that after each lesson there is an experiment. I haven't looked at these in any detail and they say they use common household supplies. If I get farther on this, I will update this post.

I was able to read some of the introduction last night. The ocean box is a project they start at the beginning at add the animals to it after each lesson. You can use clay, paper, what ever you want to make each animal but you basically set-up the box at the beginning.

It does also say that after each lesson there is an experiment. I would think experiment leans more towards Science then Art but I haven't looked at these in any detail. They say they use common household supplies. If I get farther on this, I will update this post.