Menu

Keyboard/piano lessons online or a low cost program?

Good afternoon Hive,

I have looked into getting my son keyboard/piano lessons but both my ex and I feel it is out of our price range currently. I have heard there are places online that offer free keyboard/piano lessons, yet I haven't been able to find the sites. All of the ones I have found offer 10 minutes of lessons and then ask you to pay. Anyone know of somewhere online that he can get lessons for free? Anyone have experience of their own with a site that does charge but it is a low cost fee and you have actually used it? How about anyone who can recommend a program that I can purchase that I can pick up in the store?

He really wants to learn and I want to do everything I can to help make that possible for him.

Thank you all so much!!!:)

Guest Belli

Thanks for the links - been thinking of doing the same with my kids. Interesting to check out Maria Miller's site, love the Math Mammoth!

I'm not sure your financial situation but you could find a homeschool high-schooler or graduate who is doing lessons at a low-cost. That is what we did and we only pay $5 a week for 30m, which is just $20 a month. There is also another local lady, not a homeschooler but a pianist that offers lessons at just $8 a lesson - several of our friends go to her. Just saying there could be some other options in your area you may not have found. HTH! ;)

We've been using Mrs. Stewart's Piano (author's website here). I played violin in school, but I've learned more about music from the first half of her book than anywhere else. An older kid could combine that with Alfred's guides and learn quite a bit.

If you had someone to check their positions once in a while that would be good. We ask grandma when she's here. Some of those books might help to supplement any videos you find as well.

I cannot recommend the Jon Schmidt (one of the Piano Guys you see all over YouTube) piano course highly enough. I downloaded it for $16 or so, printed it out, went through the first lesson with my 10-year-old son, who then said he'd be fine doing it on his own. Within a month he could sight read and play just about anything (within reason) that we put in front of him. It REALLY teaches you how to read music, without crutches like numbering the notes.