Menu

Offering Recommendation: Hillsdale Study Abroad

Hi--

A number of years ago, someone on this board recommended the Hillsdale College High School Study Abroad program ( I think it was Margaret in Co), and I made note of it. Last night, my middle dd returned from two weeks in England/France on the Churchill/WWII trip with that program. She was bubbling over with enthusiasm and things to tell! One of the best testimonials she gave was, "Mom, you have no idea what a great value this trip was. We packed in so much!":)

Since I haven't seen these trips mentioned here recently, I thought I'd link the site. Hillsdale also offers a Western Civ trip to Italy, and a Shakespeare/Brit authors trip to England. The college awards 3 credits for the trip, which includes reading and a paper (prior to the trip), 2 days of lectures at Hillsdale, one test over the reading, and a trip journal.

There were 38 kids on this trip, and about half were homeschooled.

http://www.hillsdale.edu/seminars/offcampus/hs_studyabroad.asp

My daughter's friend was given the Shakespeare trip for a graduation gift. Yeah, maybe only a homeschooling family would surprise their daughter with a trip to England that includes a ton of reading, essay writing, and on campus lectures before they actually take off to England. The girl was beyond thrilled with the trip and she earned some college credit to boot!

Glad to hear your dd enjoyed her trip. What did she have to read?

Thanks for the review!

Wow, Beth, that looks really great! I'm sure it was a fabulous experience. Very interesting-- thanks for sharing! And I noticed that it seems like Hillsdale College has some one-week residential science and math camps for high schoolers, which are virtually free (?) if you get accepted. Isn't that nice!

My mother's family comes from that town in Michigan-- maybe we should check out a summer visit there!

Thanks again for sharing.

how much was the trip that your daughter took?

This year's Churchill trip was $3500, and it included breakfast, dinner, and lodging (plus travel to and within Europe). Dd had to buy lunches, souvenirs, and pay some admissions during the free time (e.g. going up in the Eiffel tower). Admissions were included for the scheduled attractions. With the bad exchange rate right now, dd's additional expenses were around $150 (excluding souvenirs).

This year's Churchill trip was $3500

Thanks, Beth! While that would be a large expense in our home, it sounds like a good value especially since it inclues the college credit. Not a bad deal at all. Thanks for posting about this (and thanks to Margaret for originally posting it)!

Robin

I had told her that when she was a junior or senior she could possibly go on a Hillsdale trip. Today she brought it up out of the blue that she'd like to go to England on such a trip. I am on their mailing list and will definitely keep up with this. What an extraordinary trip for a young person about to start college!

We have family near Hillsdale College and I would love for my dd to attend someday, even though it is so far from Oregon. It seems to me that one could achieve great things after receiving an education at Hillsdale.

I am understanding you felt safe with the chaperones and everything?

I absolutely felt comfortable with the quality of the chaperones and the well-planned structure of the trip. Dd even commented several times how well organized the trip was, and that was one of the reasons they were able to fit in so much. Dd had a problem with her ATM card while over there and was unable to get cash. She emailed me. I called the trip coordinator who was on the trip with them, and he answered his cell phone immediately. I explained the problem, he was very reassuring, and he was able to get things resolved quickly so that dd was never without money.

The most important chaperone on this trip, however, is each student's own self-control. Hillsdale provides rules, and the kids are expected to follow them. The chaperones don't hover or babysit. This is really a trip designed for students who are mature and able to travel without a lot of close supervision. As a result, the kids are given a lot of freedom. During their free time, they are welcome to explore the city via public transport without an adult as long as they stay in groups of 4 or more. This freedom was an important part of the experience. My dd felt she was treated and respected like a young adult (Hillsdale college student?). She and her friends mastered public transportation in a city where they didn't speak the language (Paris) and had a wonderful time! She grew enormously in self-confidence. It is exactly the type of life experience that would enable someone to succeed at USNA ( Go Margaret's dd!).