Menu

Directionality of sound...

Is this a developmental thing or an indication of a quirk? If we hide in a room (say in a hallway with multiple rooms or upstairs vs. downstairs) and call to ds3.75, he can't locate you in the room. So there's no visual, just the directionality of sound going on. I know his phonemic awareness is screwy, and we're getting ready to start Earobics. (He did a bit of Earobics in ST and I'm buying it.) I'm just trying to figure out if this directionality thing is related to the speech and phonemic awareness stuff or totally different or even just developmental and not a skill most kids that age have.

Any ideas?

Hmm, well that makes me feel a little better! I'm just going to watch it and see what happens. I may have just been having a paranoid moment. You think too much about auditory processing and rhyming and things and things that AREN'T working and you start to get a little nuts!

Hmm, well that makes me feel a little better! I'm just going to watch it and see what happens. I may have just been having a paranoid moment. You think too much about auditory processing and rhyming and things and things that AREN'T working and you start to get a little nuts!

I have been guilty sometimes of being so focused on my children's special needs that I fail to notice children without special needs doing/not doing the same things.

We use both ears to locate a sound, in a similar way to how we need to use both eyes judge distance.

A simple way to practice this, is to have him sit in a chair in the middle of a room with his eyes closed.

Then walk around him and stop at different points and make a sound. Then ask him to point in the direction for sound without opening his eyes.

This can help locate sounds by simply practicing it.

Though this locating of sounds is also what we use listen to something when their are competing sounds.

So that we can actually focus our hearing, similar to our vision.

We use both ears to locate a sound, in a similar way to how we need to use both eyes judge distance.

A simple way to practice this, is to have him sit in a chair in the middle of a room with his eyes closed.

Then walk around him and stop at different points and make a sound. Then ask him to point in the direction for sound without opening his eyes.

This can help locate sounds by simply practicing it.

Though this locating of sounds is also what we use listen to something when their are competing sounds.

So that we can actually focus our hearing, similar to our vision.

Tried that yesterday. The ornery goat kept opening his eyes. Guess I need to try it with a blindfold. :lol:

DD3 has a little egg toy that you hide and then it says "Try and find me" (or something like that) every 5 seconds or so.

Also, I was wondering whether you called repeatedly or not? DD3.5 can use sound to locate but only if it's repetitive. Answering only once is actually a technique I use to "stall" her from finding me when I don't want her to find me :lol:

I got it at Walmart actually here it is on amazon but I know I didn't pay anything like that (maybe $5?). Also I see one of the reviews complains of battery life - we've had ours for a couple years and it still works fine even after many hours of use -- although I do tend to put it somewhere out of sight after a while because DD3 wants you to hide it over and over :lol:

How did Reading Reflex do that? It's one of those things I've heard of over the years but don't know much about.

PS. Turns out I can get it through the library, so I just requested it. Just need to know what I'm looking for in there or if it was the overall effect or what. This is definitely an area I'm concerned about and that we're starting to work on. I ordered Earobics for him and we're doing some AAR pre- (rearranged), etc. We know he's going to have some issues. There are just so many shades and degrees. I don't want to be nuts about it, just thorough and hitting what I can. His SLP doesn't seem worried that it's CAPD. Apparently all her kids with apraxia need to go through Earobics and work on the auditory stuff.

Ok, yes I was feeling nuts about it. But I'm trying to just take it one step at a time, do something, see what clicks, see what's left.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I don't know how it fixed her directionality issues, but her auditory processing issues were that the sounds of human speech were too fast for her to process. Reading Reflex has you start with a word and then break it down into sounds. Letters are then pictures of sounds. Once I was able to get her to start breaking a 3-letter word down into its sounds and then associate the sounds with the letters, her speech took off. At 4yo, she had the speech of a 2yo, both receptive and expressive. Just 6 months after I started using Reading Reflex with her, she was up to the low end of normal for her age. The speech eval was right after her 4th birthday and that's when I started Reading Reflex. I posted everywhere asking what I could to do to help fix the probelm and Reading Reflex was the main response.

I think having a visual hook to hang the sounds on is what she needed. It took a long time for her speech to really normalize. She is also Aspie. For many years, people assumed that we raised her in Boston because of the way that she talked (we've always lived in Texas). She still has a hard time understanding people who have accents, but she's a lot better at it than she used to be. She's 16yo now.

I don't know how it fixed her directionality issues, but her auditory processing issues were that the sounds of human speech were too fast for her to process. Reading Reflex has you start with a word and then break it down into sounds. Letters are then pictures of sounds. Once I was able to get her to start breaking a 3-letter word down into its sounds and then associate the sounds with the letters, her speech took off. At 4yo, she had the speech of a 2yo, both receptive and expressive. Just 6 months after I started using Reading Reflex with her, she was up to the low end of normal for her age. The speech eval was right after her 4th birthday and that's when I started Reading Reflex. I posted everywhere asking what I could to do to help fix the probelm and Reading Reflex was the main response.

I think having a visual hook to hang the sounds on is what she needed. It took a long time for her speech to really normalize. She is also Aspie. For many years, people assumed that we raised her in Boston because of the way that she talked (we've always lived in Texas). She still has a hard time understanding people who have accents, but she's a lot better at it than she used to be. She's 16yo now.

Yup, this is a lot of what you do with apraxia. You have to slow things down and make sure they hear the sounds. His speech exploded recently, and he just started dropping all the ends of words, making him unintelligible. :glare: They totally go hand-in-hand in my mind. I think he's ready to glue and unglue words. I did it with dd with SWR, but that was huge leaps, way more than he needs. Sounds like RR breaks it down very carefully, which may be just the ticket.

Yes, the accent thing is a common outcome of apraxia. There can be praxis in the speech problems with aspie and autism. The technique we're using (PROMPT) is only about 10 years old, so it wasn't around for older kids. If it bugs her she could go and get it checked, to see if they could help her. However if you do that, I would get someone certified, not just anyone, kwim?

Well thanks, that's very informative. It's coming from the library and is going exactly in the direction I wanted to go with him.

Your post caught my eye as I have been having trouble with directionality of sound for the past couple of years. My kids tease me about it all the time. I don't know if it is an age (aging?) thing or due to hearing loss. Guess they don't check my hearing at my yearly physicals. But it kind of concerns me as my mom has Minere's disease and she has lost a lot of hearing because of it and struggled with where sounds are coming from for many years before it got to this current level of severity.

So my thought would be (in regard to your child) is there some kind of hearing loss or other issues with the ears themselves? Fluid in the ears or something? Allergies?

Hmm, good question! I had him at the ped a few months ago, where he was checked thoroughly, and he seemed to be fine. But it's definitely something we should watch, thanks! :)