Menu

Best website for us first time high school hsers

Welcome to high school! :) No ONE website does it ALL, but below are ones that have loads of info on specific topics and that I have found most helpful. To get you started, this past thread is a High School "Time Table", in which I listed what sorts of things you need to consider doing and when throughout the high school years, and others suggested helpful additions and changes. Donna Young has a very brief overview list of what to do and when here; and then you can sign up on the College Board website (see below for link) for a free monthly newsletter that provides some specific info about when certain things need to happen in high school (esp. about testing and college admissions).

Hope that helps you get started! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Well Trained Mind High School Forum

Answers to any question, especially on curriculum help, outsourcing classes, testing, transcripts, college searches, and especially moral support! Ask/start your own threads, but also do tag searches and subject searches on specific topics of interest for a wealth of information.

HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association)

Articles and links on many topics for homeschooling high school -- curriculum, academics, testing, diplomas, accreditation, record keeping, driver's ed, extracurriculars...

Donna Young

High school section has articles and downloadable forms on starting homeschool high school, course of study, requirements, transcripts, record keeping, GPA, diploma, and course checklist.

Lee Binz, The Home Scholar

Free articles and video tutorials on getting started homeschooling high school (especially on transcripts, tests, record keeping and college admissions).

The College Board

Articles on SAT test info/sign up; AP test info/sign up; a college search engine; and articles on various topics. Sign up here for the free monthly email newsletter now, and all through the high school years you get info geared for your student's year of high school (focus is on testing prep/dates, and college admissions).

SAT testing

PSAT testing

ACT testing

AP (Advanced Placement) testing

College Confidential

College-bound community and forum; articles about choosing a college, admissions, pay for college, college life, etc. Also a discussion community related to college admissions.

Edited by Lori D.

College Confidential

College-bound community and forum; articles about choosing a college, admissions, pay for college, college life, etc. Also a discussion community related to college admissions.

Nibble that forum cautiously--there are some really intense folks over there who believe nothing less than straight-A's and 12 AP's, preferably all 5's, is what you need to get into college--unless of course you want Podunk Community College. There's a lot you need to take with a very large grain of salt or you will go insane. You do not need to compete with those folks.

--Janet

I have started bookmarking high school related websites recently and am all ears for anymore recommendations.

There is also Debra Bell which has lots of info on high school years and classes.

I also like this one for the list of online schools: http://www.home-school-curriculum-advisor.com/online-home-school-curriculum.html

and this one as well http://www.onlineschools.com/

I also really like High School at Home by Diana Johnson.

Edited by txhomemom

Welcome to high school! :) No ONE website does it ALL, but below are ones that have loads of info on specific topics and that I have found most helpful. To get you started, this past thread is a High School "Time Table", in which I listed what sorts of things you need to consider doing and when throughout the high school years, and others suggested helpful additions and changes. Donna Young has a very brief overview list of what to do and when here; and then you can sign up on the College Board website (see below for link) for a free monthly newsletter that provides some specific info about when certain things need to happen in high school (esp. about testing and college admissions).

Hope that helps you get started! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Well Trained Mind High School Forum

Answers to any question, especially on curriculum help, outsourcing classes, testing, transcripts, college searches, and especially moral support! Ask/start your own threads, but also do tag searches and subject searches on specific topics of interest for a wealth of information.

HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association)

Articles and links on many topics for homeschooling high school -- curriculum, academics, testing, diplomas, accreditation, record keeping, driver's ed, extracurriculars...

Donna Young

High school section has articles and downloadable forms on starting homeschool high school, course of study, requirements, transcripts, record keeping, GPA, diploma, and course checklist.

Lee Binz, The Home Scholar

Free articles and video tutorials on getting started homeschooling high school (especially on transcripts, tests, record keeping and college admissions).

The College Board

Articles on SAT test info/sign up; AP test info/sign up; a college search engine; and articles on various topics. Sign up here for the free monthly email newsletter now, and all through the high school years you get info geared for your student's year of high school (focus is on testing prep/dates, and college admissions).

SAT testing

PSAT testing

ACT testing

AP (Advanced Placement) testing

College Confidential

Lori,

You are the most organized woman I know, virtually and in IRL. :001_wub:

Thanks so much for putting this all in one place.

Lori,

You are the most organized woman I know, virtually and in IRL.

Lisa, I have to tell you my husband would :lol: at that thought... IRL, I tend to "organize" via piles in various places around the house. And on a giant calendar on the refrigerator. And in my head. Drives my poor electronics-based DH nuts.

I think I started making lists once we started homeschooling in self-defense -- no way I could keep all the wonderful piles upon piles of gems of info from everyone in my head any more!!