Menu

Puppy ? - when does the "watch dog" kick in?

We have a 16 wk old bichon-poodle mix. She has been with us for 9 weeks now, and she is sweet and lively.

She barks (playfully) at our children when they are playing with her, so I know she can bark...

The problem is, she totally does not bark at ANY strangers. We had a repairman come last week - no barking. Whenever the mailman rings the doorbell - no barking. Last night we had an overnight guest come in VERY late at night. She has met him briefly a few times, but does not know him well. He let himself in the house in the dark around midnight (we were in bed already). No barking!

Is there ANY hope that she will develop more of a watch dog instinct?

Our bichon poo is 2.5, and you should really, really hope that the "watch dog" instincts never kick in.

She was just like yours at first. Whenever someone came in - family member or complete stranger - she didn't make a sound, just rolled onto her back to get a belly rub. When she was maybe 9 months or a year old, she started barking furiously at the door bell, the mail man, the paper boy, any person that walks by the house, any kids playing in nearby backyards, anyone other than our family that walks into the house, etc. She's gotten a little better over the last few months, but she's still a bit of a nut.

We have a 16 wk old bichon-poodle mix. She has been with us for 9 weeks now, and she is sweet and lively.

She barks (playfully) at our children when they are playing with her, so I know she can bark...

The problem is, she totally does not bark at ANY strangers. We had a repairman come last week - no barking. Whenever the mailman rings the doorbell - no barking. Last night we had an overnight guest come in VERY late at night. She has met him briefly a few times, but does not know him well. He let himself in the house in the dark around midnight (we were in bed already). No barking!

Is there ANY hope that she will develop more of a watch dog instinct?

I wish we had this problem! Our pup was quiet at first, but she's starting to find her voice. We're discouraging it, but it's in her genes, I guess. She's a dachshund/border terrier mix with probably some chihuahua thrown in.

I love her a ridiculous amount. :)

We have a bichon-poodle mix, and she's such a wonderful, fabulous dog. Love her to pieces. :D

When we first got her she didn't bark, like ever. Now though (she's five), she barks furiously at anyone/anything. She's definitely a watch dog. :tongue_smilie:

At the same time, she is very much a people dog. When we take her to the dog park, she prefers the company of the people to the company of the dogs, but she does have the watch dog instinct. But just remember that bichons weren't bred to be watch dogs. They were bred to be lap dogs, and so it's possible it will never kick in. If you want it to, try to get your dog really excited about these things by making a big deal out of it yourself, maybe?

Seriously, I can't stand the two dogs across the street. I can count on them to wake me any morning I'm trying to sleep. Their owners go out on the porch whenever they wake up and just let their dogs bark. I wanna shoot those little rats.... UGH.... Soft furry creatures should be loved on.... but not bark :) When they get started, it's really hard to get them to shut up!! It seems like they can't do warning barks, but rather a continuous string of yapping/barking.

I'd think about encouraging it, especially if your Police respond to calls. I called morning after morning and our police never got them :( IF they did, it's a potential HUGE fine... (like over $1000.)