Menu

Need Help Regarding K12 vs Independent Homeschool

ddwilson

I am considering enrolling my 1st grader in the K12.com online public school. My friend used it last year & I like most of the curriculum they use (...& the fact that it's free ;). But I want to use my own Math (Right Start Math), some of my science (Real Science 4 Kids) and possibly Language Arts (Spalding Writing Road to Reading). I've looked into ordering some of their courses, but it will be costly. I love their history & the art that corresponds with it.

My question is 2 part.

Regarding LA: Which is better K12 or WRTR? *Note, my little boy is reading on a 2nd grade level, but lacks grammar/spelling which makes finding any AIO LA program harder. I wish I had found the WRTR when teaching him to read last year, but now I am more in the need of grammar/spelling.

Regarding K12 and my personal curricula: Are they assessed or tested at the end of the year (for 1st grade)? Is it possible to use my own curricula in some subjects in place of theirs? Mainly the math.

I am considering enrolling my 1st grader in the K12.com online public school. My friend used it last year & I like most of the curriculum they use (...& the fact that it's free ;). But I want to use my own Math (Right Start Math), some of my science (Real Science 4 Kids) and possibly Language Arts (Spalding Writing Road to Reading). I've looked into ordering some of their courses, but it will be costly. I love their history & the art that corresponds with it.

My question is 2 part.

Regarding LA: Which is better K12 or WRTR? *Note, my little boy is reading on a 2nd grade level, but lacks grammar/spelling which makes finding any AIO LA program harder. I wish I had found the WRTR when teaching him to read last year, but now I am more in the need of grammar/spelling.

Regarding K12 and my personal curricula: Are they assessed or tested at the end of the year (for 1st grade)? Is it possible to use my own curricula in some subjects in place of theirs? Mainly the math.

There is no "better" in any curriculum, because only YOU can decide which is better for your child. What is better for my child, is not always the same as what is better for your child. As far as K12, it's really not so much All-in-One for Language Arts. It's seperate components. Reading Comphrension/Lit will be one assignment. Grammar will be one assignment. Spelling will be one assignment. You will get books/workbooks for each component. Each component will have it's own space on the daily assignment list.

The 2nd part of your question will very GREATLY based on what state you live in and that state's virtual school rules. In my state, public school students take the standardized testing starting in 3rd grade, thus so do the virtual public school students. In my state, if you are a K12 virtual school student, you would not be allowed to switch out the assigned math, science or any other subject. It's an all-or-nothing thing. They would not have a way to track your child's work if you just used your own thing. Just as your child could not use their own math if they went to a regular school, you couldn't use your own math at at a virtual home school.

You can use K12 independently--meaning that you pay for the courses you use--and then you don't have to worry about their assessments or if you want to do part of a course but not another part. Also, I believe in certain states that you can sign up for some courses but not others.

Regardless of how you enroll in K12 (independently or through a public school), you can supplement with whatever you choose. But if you enroll through a public school, you will be expected to do the required assessments and to submit work samples.

I don't have experience with the Writing Road to Reading, but I have used several levels of K12 LA. Their literature selections are great but the rest of their LA (grammar, spelling, and vocabulary) is dry and uninspired.