Menu

same old supper...need new favorites

I find myself cooking the same old stuff week after week. Meatloaf, spaghetti, tacos, chicken & rice, pork chops, soups in the winter.... I need some new family favorites!!! My son is kinda picky and doesn't like many sauces/spices. (He eats just spaghetti noodles with no sauce). My dh and I am willing to try new stuff.

So what are your kid-approved family favorites??? :bigear:

Okay, I'm not going to give you any new ideas, but I want to tell you that the same old thing is awesome!

Just the other day, my dh and I were talking about how our mothers made the same thing often and the fond childhood memories of certain comfort foods.

I am a confessed cookbook addict.

Now that my son is older, I asked him if he could tell me what he remembers from his childhood as far as food, and he said that his favorite few dishes gives him happy memories and he's still excited when I make them. He can barely remember all the new stuff I tried out.

Keep the same old supper on the menu!

Well, a new twist on the spaghetti would be my old "go to" quickie supper:

Par cook noodles (about 1/2 what the package says). While they're cooking, sautee garlic and onion in a large skillet. Add leftover meat (chicken, ham, shrimp) and veggies (spinach, peas, diced tomatoes). Add the pasta and pour in enough milk to almost cover the whole thing. Looks like way too much, but you finish cooking the pasta in the skillet and the milk gets absorbed, plus the starch turns it all creamy, but not really saucy.

We also do lots of salads, grilled chicken or steak burritos, sometimes quiche, homemade pizza happens almost weekly. All of those things are "make it how you like it", so you can switch them up from the basics depending on your mood or what's lurking in the fridge.

Okay, I'm not going to give you any new ideas, but I want to tell you that the same old thing is awesome!

Just the other day, my dh and I were talking about how our mothers made the same thing often and the fond childhood memories of certain comfort foods.

I was thinking about this the other day. I realized that since we are always trying something new, our kids will never have strong childhood food associations. Well, we do eat salmon twice a week, but that isn't the kind of memory they want. :tongue_smilie:

Anyhow, because I'm always trying something new, I tried this last night. ;) It took under 30 minutes start to finish. I felt it was healthy and filling. I adjusted the spices down to our liking, and both of my kids LOVED it! My girls aren't big squash eaters, but neither one commented on the squash. They each ate a whole bowl full of the scramble.

I made this last night and everyone loved it. Even ate leftovers for breakfast!

Cooked and cut up about four chicken breasts. Boiled rice in chicken broth. Mixed it together with a medium container of sour cream, a bag of frozen corn and a can of black beans. Then pour in enough salsa to make me happy and topped it all with some sharp cheddar. Baked it in the oven til bubbly.

It was delicious and it screwed up my diet big time.

pizza is a favorite of ours. I make the dough in my bread machine and each of us can make a personal pizza with whatever we want on it.

I frequently cook noodles of some variety then various "add ons". This week, I cooked elbow macaroni. I also steamed some fresh veggies and grilled chicken. That was dinner one night. Later in the week, we had the leftover noodles with sides of canned tuna, chopped celery, onion and pepper, cheese, pickles, olives (whatever was in the fridge). Everyone could add whatever they wanted. Some wanted mayo, some wanted olive oil, another butter. We all ate together and basically the same meal, just customized.

I made this last night and it was a huge hit.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-cordon-bleu-i/

I used plain breadcrumbs and added....oregano, thyme, parsley, basil, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. I pounded the chicken breast thin using a mallet, dipped the chicken in egg wash, placed the ham and cheese on it, rolled it up and coated the chicken in lots of bread crumbs. Then, once the chicken was on the baking sheet I heaped on a few more crumbs and a tiny pat of butter. I served it with a bit if gravy, some rice and fresh veggies. It was yum.