Menu

Would it be strange to buy Beast Academy for a rising 6th grader?

AimeeM

Autumn is a very good math student, but I'm flirting with the idea of grabbing Beast Academy (as a supplement to CLE Math 6) for this semester; starting AOPS Pre Algebra next semester... just as a fun supplement. I'm not sure, though, that there would be anything of interest to her in it...

?

Nah, I'd just start the Prealgebra. (disclaimer: I have BA but have not used it yet. I have used AoPS Prealgebra.) (disclaimer #2: if she's a comic-book reader, she might like the Guides, but you can probably get more bang for the buck elsewhere.)

Yeah, I kinda think it would (be strange, that it) ;).

I bought it during dd's 4th grade year. As she had virtually no measurement/geometry in ps, we will do the Geometry and Perimeter/Area chapters almost in their entireties, I think, in August at the beginning of her 5th grade year, so that will make it worthwhile. I've had her working on selected problems from the other chapters over the past few months, as her fun/challenge math, but have mostly just had her do the starred problems - many of the others were pretty easy. The challenging problems are great, but I don't think I'd buy a whole curriculum just to do the last 2 or three problems in each section? YMMV, of course . . .

I think if I were in your shoes I'd look for something else to bridge the challenge math gap till she's ready for AoPS prealgebra. Zacarro? or Math Perplexors? Singapore challenging word problems? Or something?

It is awfully shiny though! :D

They have a few extra pages to print out for free available on their website, you could try those and see if she thinks it is fun and thus that there would be any point in having more such. My son is enjoying it for the summer, but I don't really think it is helping much to keep his math skills sharp.