Menu

Activities For Kindergartener

Right now I have my Kindergartener doing math, reading, and handwriting in the mornings, but he is finishing long before my 2nd grader, who also has grammar, spelling, and dictation/copywork to do. He is getting bored and interrupting a lot, trying to get attention. I tried to have him go play in his room, but I think he is really wanting something more to do. Any suggestions on what I can give him that will keep him occupied without wanting to interrupt us?

Explode the Code? Dot-to-dot and maze workbooks? Playing with pattern blocks, geoboards, other math manipulatives? I'm just listing things my PK and kinder kids like to do.

My DD likes to do all of these plus - puzzles, cutting worksheets, stamps/stickers to decorate a sheet, games she can play by herself like Memory or chutes and ladders.

She also like the Kumon dry erase tracing cards that have shapes and letters on them.

All the above, maybe an educational game on the computer/ipad, designing a play to put on for you after you are done with the 2nd grader, any art/craft that does not require too much supervision (my DD still knocks the watre over almost every time she paints sigh), getting him involved with your 2nd graders spelling (you could do a very short mini lesson on it before your second grader starts), painting a wall or your tiles with water (use walls that get sun preferably), decorating biscuits with icing (this can be messy so be prepared - maybe get him to write letters on them with the icing), get him to hide a few objects around the house in the best possible place he can think of that you will only find when the 2nd grader is done.

Dot to dot workbooks

Color by number workbooks

Cutting and pasting workbooks (increases fine motor skills)

Lapbooks (ones premade for young kids as at HOAC or free ones from homeschoolshare.com)

Foreign language (my library has Muzzy, Little Pim, and other audio programs that my 5-year old can do by herself on the computer)

Journal (draw a picture and write one sentence about it)

Ed Emberley's Drawing books, including Picture Pie

Draw Write Now books

Mark Kistler's online drawing lessons

Music--i.e. piano lessons so that he has to practice piano every day

Extra math, phonics, and handwriting workbooks ;)

Playdoh

Baking soda + vinegar

Second this activity, but expanding a little more:

Get a little tub

Cover bottom of tub about 1/2 inch or more thick with baking soda

get 3-4 little cups

pour vinegar into cups

put couple drops of food colouring into each cup (so 1 red cup, 1 blue cup, 1 yellow cup)

give dropper to child

Explain "suck up" vinegar with dropper and "drop" onto baking soda.

Surprisingly enough, even with my calamity kids (who are quite willing to upend an activity before it begins), they were happy to sit there using the dropper for ages and ages (about 2 hours for the longest child)

Because of adding the colouring, other than making the "Reaction" they also get to watch colour mixing.

At the end they were happy to play with the final goop as well :lol:

I have been fighting this battle since Punk's first year of schooling. How to keep those not engaged in seated work from disrupting those who are engaged. *sigh* A couple of years ago I started incorporating activity baskets as a way to tame the chaos and have been pleased with the results.

I keep several baskets on our school shelves with independent activites and if someone finishes for the day or is waiting for help from me they can choose from one of the baskets. I rotate the contents every week or so, and try to keep a variety for interest. There are usually science, art, puzzle, sensory, and a couple of quiet-ish toy baskets. I also have a reading nook, a Lego center, and a pretend area (complete with kitchen), that they can play in and still be in sight.

I have found great ideas on Counting Coconuts, Pink and Green Mama, and by searching Montessori blog sites.

I usually work with my oldest at the kitchen table and when I need the littles to stay occupied I set up a kid sized card table and chairs in the front room and give them some activity.

It helps to have a "workbox" style system in place for the littles too. http://moneysavingmom.com/tag/busy-bag-ideas

http://secondstorywindow.typepad.com/home/2011/10/toddler-time-busy-bag-exchange-part-3-freebie.html

I've started to put together a few of these ideas. I think that after a demonstration or two, they can keep up on their own a bit. I'll just keep them in a set of drawers I have in the corner of the living room. I also keep math manipulatives, letter tiles, LeapPad, various cards and wooden puzzles etc. in there.

My main problem at this point is ironing out the kinks of this system. My 4 year old has a serious case of the "didja see me, huh mom, didja see me?" and my 2 year old has a serious case of the empty one box or bag and move on to the next. I've cleaned up my fair share of a pile of mixed together parts that I'm a little leery at how time consuming this will be for me.