Menu

The Absent Minded Husband (cc, sorta)

I find that article a bit bizarre. I guess they are talking extremes to make a point. FWIW, I'm the absent-minded spouse in my marriage and my life role is certainly not over-taxing. It's just who I am. If we look at it in a religious way, I could say it's how God made me since it's brain chemistry. I can't tell you the day and year I got married. I have to really think hard to remember the exact day but I have to do math to figure out what year it was. You probably don't hear many women saying that. :tongue_smilie: If my DH starts forgetting things, we're going to be in major trouble.

I can't remember why I want to post this. Oh, well.

:lol::lol::lol:

Good article. The most convicting part for me:

"That’s why the Lord has given your husband a helpmeet – you! – to take care of the things that would otherwise go unnoticed."

I find that article a bit bizarre. I guess they are talking extremes to make a point. FWIW, I'm the absent-minded spouse in my marriage and my life role is certainly not over-taxing.

Yeah, there's something in the article implying that because the husband is doing so much heavy brain work in his profession, the wife must take care of all the mundane details for him. I'm actually the absent-minded one in the marriage, and the one whose job requires mental effort. I'm also the one who remembers the day camp starts and when the dr's appointment is and all that stuff--I'll just leave the lunch on the counter or get lost on the way there.

Anyway, my point being there is something that doesn't sit well with me in the article--like it's chuckling over how incompetent in daily tasks our very intelligent husbands are, and how we wives must smooth it all over for them because that's our little role in life.

Well that is confusing. The article described me and I am most definitly the dw. :D

He remembers birthday cards for the nieces and nephews....I have a card phobia.

He gets all the paperwork together for camps.

It took me 5 years to remember that my youngest was born on the 13th and not the 12th. Dh just laughed at me.

I am a bit hazy on how many years we have been married....I think it is around 12.

On top of that dh has a very difficult, high stress job, where he is constantly putting out fires and negotiating things for an International company.

My only excuse is that the internet has turned my brain into a shallow wasteland :)

Edited by Juniper

Hmmm....there is so much to say about that article. It seems like more of the "he can't help it because he's a man" excuse for whatever behavior needs to be worked on.

My dh is absent-minded in some ways, and I am in others. It's nice to extend grace to your spouse for whatever shortcoming he/she may have, but I don't think this one is gender-specific.

Maybe men referenced in the article are just ADHD?

My only excuse is that the internet has turned my brain into a shallow wasteland :)

:lol:

God allows DH to get into an accident because he wasn't paying attention to traffic, because he was thinking Deep Thoughts? How is that God's fault? Naah. I'm of the camp that says this is God's wake up call to a negligent human being who ought to know better.

Just because "that's how God made me" doesn't mean it's a get out of trouble free card. We still have a responsibility to improve ourselves. I'd be furious at a husband who is driving carelessly.