Menu

I need suggestions for science/nonfiction readers

krisperry

At a fourth grade level. I have a very bright kiddo who prefers to read science or nonfiction. It is frustrating b/c his reading ability is only at grade level and many of these books are babyish and state facts he already knows....

I do make him read some fiction but it is like pulling teeth. His favorite book when he was in kindergarten explained how the ventilation system worked for those underwater tunnels that cars drive through :001_huh:

I'm floundering trying to find "meaty" science books that he can read where the language is fairly simple.

any suggestions?

At a fourth grade level. I have a very bright kiddo who prefers to read science or nonfiction. It is frustrating b/c his reading ability is only at grade level and many of these books are babyish and state facts he already knows....

I do make him read some fiction but it is like pulling teeth. His favorite book when he was in kindergarten explained how the ventilation system worked for those underwater tunnels that cars drive through :001_huh:

I'm floundering trying to find "meaty" science books that he can read where the language is fairly simple.

any suggestions?

Mystery of the Periodic Table

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Galen and the Gateway to Medicine

Horrible Science series

The Way Things Work

Horrible Science is exactly at that level. And while it's a bit all over the place with funny factoids and such, it also has a good bit of meaty information in there.

National Geographic has a few good titles. And there are two good ones we used Car Science and Can You Feel the Force? both from DK that are very good.

I sometimes just give my Ds textbooks. You might browse your non-fiction section at the library- sometimes DS makes selections from there. ( I try to avoid the library because I am not good at getting things returned in time, otherwise it would be a great resource. ;))

Your keywords for finding the reading level you need would be "high interest nonfiction." The high interest basically means that the interest level is higher than the reading level. Remedia Publications offers reading comprehension selections in this style.

• 1 month later...

Anything by Alvin and Virginia Silverstein. Great books about science! Betsy and Guilio Maestro write nonfiction books at around that level (mostly history). The later Christian Nature Readers (3-5) are also good choices.

I bought some vintage Joe Kaufman books. I used to love them as a kid, and I still do. Ds8's favorite is How Does It Work? Etc.