Menu

Magic School Bus science club kits? HSBC co-op...

I see they will be doing another group buy on these kits at the end of July. Has anyone used these? I have ordered the whole set of DVD's that will be released soon. I was thinking that these kits would make a nice go along with the dvd's. I would be using them for my soon to be 8yo.

For science in the fall, I was planning to finish up our NL science 1 that we have had forever. Science just doesn't get done but I am determined to get through science this year. I ordered the MSB dvd's in hopes we also use those with the MSB kits. He is a very right brained learner. I also fully intend to add in Guest Hollow's science program. This just looks great. I am planning on just the books and brainpop and discovery education vides. No experiments.

Back to my question.....any reviews on the kits?

Thanks,

Sandy

Disclaimer: I have no person experience with these.

I was looking at some of the kits at Amazon, and to be honest I think they are just OK at best. Most are $15 and consist of mostly basic stuff (paper clip, balloon, medicine cups, q-tips, stuff like that) with a few exceptions. I don't know what kind of discount you are getting, but for me to find any value in it it would have to be 50% or greater. I was reading the reviews and there are some good ones, but make sure to read the 3 stars and lower. Many people found that a lot of them didn't work (user error??? I doubt that many), or the paint didn't stick, cheaply made, etc.

I think it is a really COOL idea to have matching experiments to go with the toons. I wonder if there is a basic book that would provide them in a wide range of topics, and have a list of easy to obtain items included.

If you do get them, I truly hope it works out wonderful for you!

We got the subscription the last time HSBC ran it. I would not buy it again. The more kits we get, the less we like it. Most of them are just meh. The only one we've really liked is the mold/slime kit.

:iagree: I cannot wait for our subscription to end. The boys like them, but even they have been disappointed with quality. For example, we got magnets in one kit that were mislabeled so N-N/S-S didn't repel but attracted!

Edited by Zuzu822
Add a word.

We had some and really liked them - the germs and polymers ones were good, the astronomy and body ones were meh... But it depends on your expectations. And I think they're good for youngers - we enjoyed them in K, but they would probably disappoint me now.