Menu

Your favourite Tolkein books

Ooops. It would help if I spelled Tolkien correctly! :tongue_smilie:

The Languages book looks neat. Thanks for the link. I've heard that the Silmarillian is quite a chanllenging read. I usually read right before bed, letting the book hit the floor when I fall asleep. If the book requires too much brain power (or is too big and heavy :001_huh:), it's not going to get much open-page time, sadly.

So, looking for light and delightful Tolkien stories for suggestions. :) Well, I guess if you must, you can also list your own personal favourites. ;)

Silmarillion was great - took a good long while to read it, and there some over-flowery passages that I had a hard time getting through, but overall it was fantastic. The beginning creation and development stories are the harder ones, not because of difficulty but just because they're kind of bland, but are pretty necessary to "get" the rest of the book. Some of the best and Middle Earth historical histories and legends are found in it! My LOTR nerd buddies raved about it, and I wasn't quite as impressed as they all seemed to be, but it was fun and I was glad to read it. (Disclaimer: I was also very glad to be done reading it. LOL)

Children of Hurin is next on my Tolkien list, though I probably won't get to it this year.

That said, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight actually *is* on the list for this school year, so who knows.

The Hobbit is, by far, my favorite work. It's an easier read but the story has stuck with me better than the rest of the trilogy - which is also fantastic, of course. My most favorite moments are from Hobbit, but the writing of LOTR cannot be matched. The storyline is exquisite and the literary genius of a master shines in every chapter.