Menu

Flat top range vs traditional range?

The heat is fine, I don't have problems with inconsistencies. Burners are different temps just like on a regular stove. I make huge pots of stew/jam/soups....I don't have a problem with hot spots and they boil just fine.

I am NOT gentle with mine, use very heavy commercial pots...even cast iron, have dropped things on it and have no scratches to be seen. I chipped the white enamel on my first glass top, but that had nothing to do with the glass top, it would have chipped on any stove.

I use CeramBrite (I think that is how it is spelled) to polish it periodically. If something boils over, I just wipe it up. If something gets burnt on/stuck on, I soak it a bit with a wet wash cloth or a puddle of liquid (water, vinegar, etc). I use a glass scraper to lift any debris. Even in the worst condition I have ever seen my stove....It still only took 15 minutes or so to have it looking brand new again. I HATE washing stove rings, and gas grates.

I have one and love it. Sometimes use CeramaBrite, more often Barkeepers Friend which is also oxalic acid. Very rarely a spill has needed to be scraped, and I have the recommended razor scraper for that. I don't clean spills when stove is hot, but a neighbor does, and says that keeps it clean without even needing oxalic acid. Supposedly it will pit from hot sugary spills. So far only had one chocolate pudding such spill in 5 years I had the stove, but it cleaned up okay. The only thing about mine I do not like is that at the lowest setting only one burner out of 4 will simmer, the rest are too hot and will lead to boil over if not watched constantly.

What do you hate about it?

1) Because it's flat and on the island, dh never fails to throw mail, a towel, a plastic bag, etc. on the stove. I have a fear that one day a burner is either still going to be on or still be hot or that someone will come along and unknowingly bump a dial, and we'll have a nice little bonfire in the kitchen. He never threw stuff on the traditional burner stove. And, no, it doesn't matter that I've asked him not to put stuff on the stove. He has this disorder known as selective hearing . . .

2) The tops are a pain to clean. My dark top also shows every spec of dust and smudge, and that makes me crazy.

3) Mine is a pain to cook on. The pans really need to fit the burners, and I often find myself wondering if it's my pans or the burners that aren't standard sizes.

4) I can't use my grandmother's cast iron pan on it. It's an old one that has a lip around the edge, so the bottom doesn't touch the burner. I can use the flat-bottomed cast iron pans, but I'd love to use my

grandmother's.

5) and the pancake issue a pp mentioned. It takes me forever to cook pancakes now. : (

We went with ceramic when we remodeled a few years ago because we were about three times over budget and I couldn't justify the additional cost of induction. (no NG lines here, we don't have existing propane or anywhere to put a tank, and we do not have a range vent to the outside. Otherwise my preference is always gas.)

It sucks, just in every way possible, including the large crack I found in it one morning, which runs front to back, through the left two burners. (nothing has ever fallen on it, and certainly not during the night while we slept)

I do use my 16 qt canning pot on the huge burner in the front, and my pressure canner, and my cast iron pans with the edge around the bottom, though.

3) Mine is a pain to cook on. The pans really need to fit the burners, and I often find myself wondering if it's my pans or the burners that aren't standard sizes.

It's the burners. I have the same issue and my pans are all normal sizes from "name brand" or traditional makers.

When we finish all the other remodeling projects on deck, it will be replaced with induction.