Menu

My printer is exhausted!

Jess4879

...and silly me, I thought I was getting a deal! I decided to use Mr.Q's science - as it's "free." Next time someone remind me to actually look at the page count! I have only done the first two TG units and I'm already well over 90 pages. I printed in black and white...but still. I am seriously rethinking this... This year, I am looking at a good $30 in ink...but next year I'd need the next level for $50 and then still have to tack on printing costs! Ouch!!

I could leave the TG on the computer, but I am a "hard copy" kind of gal. I may have to change my stubborn ways!

Get a laser printer. Your printing costs will go down significantly, and you will likely freely print a lot more just cuz you can - get your paper free after rebate at Staples - those deals come around on a semi-regular basis. :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

OH, my yes. You can print 2600 pages on one toner cartridge ($46 at amazon) for the Brother 2270dw laser printer-and print it duplex.

I've thought the same thing, just haven't printed yet. I'm a hard-copy gal too; I want those papers in my hands. I'm going to have DS read and work on the iPad. Mom may just have to suffer through NOT having those papers in hand. Good luck!

I am going to suck it up and read it off the laptop. It's not *my* favorite way of doing it, but I will survive. I printed off just the activity pages and that was enough on its own. I am very, very tempted to get an iPad, but not sure I can justify it. Convince me? :001_smile:

Are they pages you fill in or is it just reading? It might be less expensive to get a used Kindle to read it on. Easier than the computer screen and portable. I got one from Craig's List for $50

I have been toying with the idea of an iPad or something...I wonder if the computer screen isn't easier for us all to see though? There will be three of us, and most likely a toddler too...:lol:

Get a laser printer. Your printing costs will go down significantly, and you will likely freely print a lot more just cuz you can - get your paper free after rebate at Staples - those deals come around on a semi-regular basis. :)

I print too much in color. :( Will keep my eyes open for the free paper deals! I usually stock up during school supply season - but free is better (which is what led me to this predicament :glare:)

I printed each chapter in booklet form...two pages on each sheet and front & back. Also printed in draft mode. They came out pretty nice btw and still writable (is that correct form??? :D ). I'll just say there is still enough room for the questions to be answered on the booklet itself.

I am going to suck it up and read it off the laptop. It's not *my* favorite way of doing it, but I will survive. I printed off just the activity pages and that was enough on its own. I am very, very tempted to get an iPad, but not sure I can justify it. Convince me? :001_smile:

We use the IPAD for everything, and I got it just before we started school this year, so next years plans are going to be more revolved around the ipad ;)

I currently use it for:

- My own games. DH is a Battlefield (PS3 game) junkie, so in order to spend some time near him, when he's relaxing after work, I just plop down beside him and play some puzzles.

- Videos/Youtube: Whenever kids ask questions or for Youtube Videos for school. You can put a private playlist up on Youtube, and just let it play.

- Apps: I have apps related to reading, history , logic, etc for the kids as supplementals if they are stuck on something.

- Reference Apps: I have field guides, local poisonous insects blah blah blah

- IBooks: I use this app to hold the majority of my reading stuff, teachers manuals, guides, read alouds, reference books etc

- Brainpop/Jr: We have (on the computer) subscription to both Brainpop & Jr, if you download the apps you can acccess the stuff from there.

- Pinterest: I keep supplemental stuff, activities, enrichments, videos etc on Pinterest (I can pin stuff on my netbook or desktop computer then access it on the ipad during school)

- You can get an app (forgot what its called - Notability? I think) that allows you to write over pdfs (stuiable for student workpages) you can "Save" these written on pages, then transfer them back to the computer or print them.

- Ipod: The music player within the ipad is useful too, the inbuilt speakers are quite loud (always a plus with the 3 littlies I have lol), I put the SOTW mp3 files on here as well as other audio books etc

- Free Stuff: There are many many free apps that are useful and/or fun.

- Flash: Use sites that have flash? Whilst the normal internet browser doesn't work with flash, there are app browsers that do, I think I have one called Rover (I know its a surfboarding/skatboarding dog)

With my kids, I really want to get them something for each of them to have, if they were older I would get them each an IPAD. Since they are younger we're looking into the Vtech Innotab 2/S when it comes out, mainly for piece in the car, whilst still allowing for educational content. I wouldn't give up my Ipad, I think there would be a war :D I sat quite happily with DD yesterday playing brainpop videos and doing quizzes, then sat in the car (DH driving) and played 61 Logic Games. I use my Ipad a lot, and it has quite good battery, even when I do all those things. My iphone on the other hand, has to be re-charged nearly every night from dealing with games/puzzles lol.

We use the IPAD for everything, and I got it just before we started school this year, so next years plans are going to be more revolved around the ipad ;)

I currently use it for:

- My own games. DH is a Battlefield (PS3 game) junkie, so in order to spend some time near him, when he's relaxing after work, I just plop down beside him and play some puzzles.

- Videos/Youtube: Whenever kids ask questions or for Youtube Videos for school. You can put a private playlist up on Youtube, and just let it play.

- Apps: I have apps related to reading, history , logic, etc for the kids as supplementals if they are stuck on something.

- Reference Apps: I have field guides, local poisonous insects blah blah blah

- IBooks: I use this app to hold the majority of my reading stuff, teachers manuals, guides, read alouds, reference books etc

- Brainpop/Jr: We have (on the computer) subscription to both Brainpop & Jr, if you download the apps you can acccess the stuff from there.

- Pinterest: I keep supplemental stuff, activities, enrichments, videos etc on Pinterest (I can pin stuff on my netbook or desktop computer then access it on the ipad during school)

- You can get an app (forgot what its called - Notability? I think) that allows you to write over pdfs (stuiable for student workpages) you can "Save" these written on pages, then transfer them back to the computer or print them.

- Ipod: The music player within the ipad is useful too, the inbuilt speakers are quite loud (always a plus with the 3 littlies I have lol), I put the SOTW mp3 files on here as well as other audio books etc

- Free Stuff: There are many many free apps that are useful and/or fun.

- Flash: Use sites that have flash? Whilst the normal internet browser doesn't work with flash, there are app browsers that do, I think I have one called Rover (I know its a surfboarding/skatboarding dog)

With my kids, I really want to get them something for each of them to have, if they were older I would get them each an IPAD. Since they are younger we're looking into the Vtech Innotab 2/S when it comes out, mainly for piece in the car, whilst still allowing for educational content. I wouldn't give up my Ipad, I think there would be a war :D I sat quite happily with DD yesterday playing brainpop videos and doing quizzes, then sat in the car (DH driving) and played 61 Logic Games. I use my Ipad a lot, and it has quite good battery, even when I do all those things. My iphone on the other hand, has to be re-charged nearly every night from dealing with games/puzzles lol.

I totally want one now. If my DH comes on here and hollars a bit, you'll know why! :lol:

Ugh, I literally just printed out hundreds of pages and sat down to take a break at the computer. Printed in black and white, draft format but still using up a ton of ink. Might be time to invest in the laser printer. I had forgotten about that option.

Totally understand the printed-out on paper kind of thing. I need to be able to write on it, highlight, put sticky notes on it.

I was preparing my "Yes, you NEED an iPad" speech when I saw that eclecticmom had already done the work for me. We love our iPad and use it for tons of stuff. DS hates to write on paper, but for some reason he doesn't mind using the stylus on the iPad in the Notability app. I hope to find many more ways to use it in school this year.

Ugh, I literally just printed out hundreds of pages and sat down to take a break at the computer. Printed in black and white, draft format but still using up a ton of ink. Might be time to invest in the laser printer. I had forgotten about that option.

Totally understand the printed-out on paper kind of thing. I need to be able to write on it, highlight, put sticky notes on it.

I love to highlight and add sticky notes and flags!