Menu

Fall Foliage Trip

We've never been able to do this, although we've always wanted to! Dh just bought us a camper, so now we can make this happen! :party: I imagine I should google and see what I come up with as far as dates of foliage colors. I know here in VA, there is a site that breaks down by region the peak color dates every fall, so maybe you can find something like that from the state you are considering. You can see some awesome foliage colors here in the Blueridge, and this year should be spectacular because we've had a lot of rain.

How far north do you want to go? If you google "leaf peeping map" you'll find some interesting stuff.

Way up here our leaves will start to change mid-to-late August. By mid-to-late September(ish) we are at peak. That will last a couple weeks and it goes downhill pretty fast after that.

Looks like I took this photo mid-September last year. We peaked late according to this chart.

We're thinking of taking a trip up the east coast from FL to see the fall foliage. When's the best time to go and what are your favorite places to go? We'd like to include some biking, hiking and educational stops - probably a 7-10 day trip.

Different regions' leaves will peak at different times--and will peak slightly differently in different years, depending on the weather. Obviously New England leaves will have peaked long before leaves in the Ga. mountains.

From FL, I would come up through Ga mtns and head toward the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Parkway goes through or near several national parks where there is excellent hiking. Google waterfalls in Ga and in NC to be sure to see some beauties. Take a look at state and national parks in Ga and NC. (I'm suggesting those two states because they are pretty close to you and the leaves peak pretty close together.) October is the month for NC/Ga typically.