Menu

Writing with ease text vs writing with ease workbooks

mommyto2

I am once again lookin at Writing With Ease. But I can't quite decide whether to get the book or the workbooks. Does anyone just use the text? Is it alot of work? I have looked at the samples but I can't tell if it continues to gives you the quote for narration and copy work for all the lessons, or just the first few as a sample. Also, I'll be starting it with a second grader. Should I start level one or level two? Thanks!

The WWE text gives the selections for only a few weeks (1 in every 5 weeks) for all 4 grammar school years. Some people on this forum do use just the text and then find their own selections for the rest of the weeks, but I feel that is a lot of work. We use the workbooks and it makes things so much easier and quicker!

My second grader is still in workbook 1, but instead of doing copywork, she is now taking the sentences from dictation. Also, we combine two days in one (narration+dictation). I would suggest starting in workbook 1. If your second grader seems to be mastering the narration aspect, you can speed up the lessons this way.

I do the text. I started my second grader at level 1 and do two lessons per day. It takes us all of 15 minutes, which includes the time I spend writing out the text for the copywork. Most of the time I just make up sentences, because once you take them out of context, it doesn't make much difference. Once you get to level two, the narrations take some time, but we take the narrations from our literature readings, so it's seamless. It doesn't really seem like a whole other subject. The level two samples are spread out to about once every 12 weeks.

The workbooks contain everything you need for each year (method + selections for each day). The text contains the method but not the materials needed for each day. So if you have the time and do not mind looking for your own selections which meet your criteria and those of the text, then the text alone is a cheaper option (one book, four years).

I have found the workbook is easiest for us. Less guesswork means more time learning. We combine one copywork and narration into a single lesson,which takes about 20 minutes.

We have been doing the workbooks here. If we continue with WWE, however (this is somewhat up in the air, at this point), we will be moving to the text and selecting our own passages from the reading we are doing. I don't think it will be that time-consuming, and I think using selections from books we are reading will make it seem less like "busy-work" for my daughter. We like WWE, but the one thing I have thought many times as were using it is that it would flow so nicely with the rest of our work if it correlated with our history readers, read-alouds, student readers, etc. I think my daughter would enjoy that more, as well. That all said, it is obviously nice to have everything laid out for you in the workbook. It is very much up to each individual mama to decided what works best for her home. :)

Thanks for the input! I think I will check out the text from our library. (It will take a while since we have to get it from interlibrary loan, probably from another state!) Try that for a couple of weeks and then get the text if it works for me.