Menu

South Jersey/Philadelphia area... anyone know the area?

We are visiting in a week to consider moving to Collingswood. I have never lived outside of Texas except for Oklahoma for college. Can you tell me what the NJ area is like? I have a new baby and the idea of this move is completely overwhelming me. Are there many homeschool groups in the area? Also, my oldest is in ballet and my 5 yo does swimming (wants to be on the team but is still in learn to swim lessons). If anyone knows anything about ballet studios or swimming, that would be great too.

I would also love to hear form people who have moved from Texas or other southern states to the north. How different is the culture? Will we have a hard time making friends? Or will it be basically the same as it is here? Will I freeze to death?

We are visiting in a week to consider moving to Collingswood. I have never lived outside of Texas except for Oklahoma for college. Can you tell me what the NJ area is like? I have a new baby and the idea of this move is completely overwhelming me. Are there many homeschool groups in the area?

This Yahoo group will give you all the info you need for Philly and Collingswood. Mention Collingswood in the subject line; at least one group member knows the area and will be happy to give info.

This huge Yahoo group covers the county in PA south of Philly.

There are similar groups for each county in the surrounding area; find some of them here.

I know you said Jersey; don't let the PA's laws scare you away from looking there too. North Wilmington in DE is also a nice area.

I sent you a pm! We are Texans who moved to South Jersey for a year. I found people to be friendly and made friends pretty easily! There are a several homeschool co-ops in the area. The winter is much colder, of course! Our area didn't get a ton of snow, but it was cooooollllddd!!! Loved Fall and Spring, though! Summer doesn't get as quite as hot as here in Texas, but it is much more humid! I'll take our drier 100+ days any day over the humid 80's! LOVED being able to hop on the train to go into Philly!

I know you said Jersey; don't let the PA's laws scare you away from looking there too. North Wilmington in DE is also a nice area.

We would be moving to Collingswood to help with a church, so we would need to be in that city or very, very close to it. Thanks for the yahoo groups!

We moved from the hill country of central Texas to Wilmington, Delaware (a southern suburb of Philadelphia) about 2 years ago. I had just had our 4th baby when we moved. There is a homeschool swim team in our neighborhood. Delaware is much more affordable than NJ (property taxes are way expensive in NJ). There are plenty of dance studios in Northern Wilmington too. Let me know if you have any questions. I know how difficult it can be to move with little ones. Leaving Texas was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do....

Sue

i am about an hour east of collingswood. balletNJ is an excellent ballet studio in berlin. SERIOUS ballet. The only thing I think is better in philadelphia ballet. you won't find much info on them online, they don't advertise. they don't need to. try a class for like $15. The owners are super nice. no recitals, they do nutcracker in nov and another show in the spring.

robin in nj

i am about an hour east of collingswood. balletNJ is an excellent ballet studio in berlin. SERIOUS ballet. The only thing I think is better in philadelphia ballet. you won't find much info on them online, they don't advertise. they don't need to. try a class for like $15. The owners are super nice. no recitals, they do nutcracker in nov and another show in the spring.

robin in nj

Great! Thanks! I had found South Jersey Ballet... but this one is even closer to Collingswood! I found their website...

Collingswood itself is really nice. They have beautiful old homes and a pretty downtown with a farmers market on Saturdays. It seems like a trendy type of neighborhood for yuppie-types but I know big families who live there. It borders on Camden, though, which I think has the highest murder rate per capita of any city in the US, so for that reason you want to be careful of exactly where you move. And the taxes are VERY high. I don't know what taxes are like in Texas, but NJ has some of the highest property taxes in the country.

You can pm me if you have specific questions.