Menu

Art Supplies - Hobby Lobby or Michaels?

I live in a small town with only a Walmart, so I am planning to travel to a town with both Hobby Lobby and Michaels in it.

Not sure I will have time to visit both, I am looking for art supplies, the kind of stuff that I might find at Dick Blicks and wondered if you could tell me which store would be best for that type of thing?

Also do you think If I wait till next week they might have a 4th of July sale?

I like Hobby Lobby better, but Michaels also has a wide range of craft supplies. Both will put their flyers online and both will run 4th of July sales. Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday, Michaels isn't, if that makes a difference.

Hobby Lobby usually has 40% off one item coupons each week. Michaels has ones which are higher, but are often only good for 2-3 days, so they might have a 60% off coupon for one day, but a 40% off coupon for the next three, and nothing in effect the first part of the week. Hobby Lobby's coupon interface is easy to manage from a smartphone, so I can pull up a coupon while waiting in line and using it. For Michaels, I have to print or get one from the paper in advance, because their interface never works for me.

In both cases, head to the back of the store for true art supplies.

Have fun!

Depending on where you live you might be able to find an Aaron Brothers

http://www.aaronbrothers.com/

They also do printable coupons

And if you are traveling to a city with a university, I might be worthwhile to look online for where the students buy art supplies.

I have never been to Hobby Lobby, but we have found Michael's to be very limited. If you are looking for something specific you can call ahead to see if they have what you need.

Amber in SJ

I too live in a tiny town with only a Walmart. :glare:...and 1 1/2 hours from a city with a craft store. So, I frequently shop online for what I need, but more often than not I snag art supplies off ebay alot cheaper than the B&M stores, especially prismacolor pencils...sometimes by 50% or more. You do have to be patient though.

If I need a good variety of mediums: drawing, painting, craft, home decor, jewelery, fiber arts....I go to Hobby Lobby. If I need more specific items or good sales I go to Michaels.

Since I now live in a one walmart town myself, I find myself frequenting Joanne's 1st, Hobby Lobby 2nd, and Michael's 3rd, but sewing plays a role in that.

I prefer Hobby Lobby. They're larger, their selection is better and their store isn't as cluttered. I also like to give them my business because they're closed on Sundays and I like to support a company that stands up for what they think is right even if it may hurt them financially.