Menu

AoPS Prealgebra w/SM 6

Looking ahead to next year...

I have a copy of AoPS Prealgebra but not SM6 (yet). AoPS is very wordy and I'm not sure my dd9 would want to follow its approach as a sole curriculum. AoPS takes an approach to math that I am fond of...it is how I know math but it is not "cute looking" like SM 5 has been. Has anyone used both maths? We have informally played around with many prealgebra concepts but I haven't been very technical about it. Concepts in AoPS are spot on but the format and terminology might prove to be too much for my dd. Then again maybe we could just try it or finish SM6 then move into AoPS prealgebra as a deeper dive? Thoughts?

Not sure I know the answer. We have used both and I have one child who prefers Singapore mostly because of the color etc. I have another who prefers the AOPS style.

Have you thought about letting her try a lesson or two from both and let her decide which to do first? Or maybe she wants to do one for a short time frame then switch back and forth. Mine like variety so we often switch off.

Mine like to be involved with deciding curriculum, and I think it gives them some "buy in" to what they will accomplish.

My son finished SM 5 and then moved onto AoPS Pre-Algebra. I made him watch all the videos, which helped. However, I'm going to go ahead and get the SM 6 books, too, as AoPS is much more thinking-based and he did very little in the way of calculations in the first two sections.

I read aloud from the book with my dd11, and sometimes take notes either on the white board or on paper. Reading about math is *hard* and requires an active attention and some copywork, IMO. I like to model that kind of active reading and note-taking to my dd, who hasn't had much experience in that area!

I have both AOPS preA and SM 6. I decided to do a heavy SM 6 rather than AOPS. I compare the 2 and realized that other than few topic that was not introduced in SM. SM questions are not any less challenging than AOPS (we did textbook, workbook, IP and CWP.. yes, all of it)

I felt since the boy thrive at SM and AOPS is not more challenging. For my back then 7 years old, SM is a better choice. We do use a more "discovery approach" similar to AOPS. I rarely give the boy any instruction. He will tell me what is his plan to solve and we will discuss it if the method he suggested is off track and is obvious not going to lead to the answer.. More than often I let him go ahead to solve the way he wants even the path he came out is not the "traditional" or the most efficient way. So I feel I took the "essence" of AOPS apply on SM :D

The boy just started AOPS algebra. He finished SM 6 heavy and finished the key to algebra. looking through AOPS algebra, I do feel SM 6 gave him strong fundation to go forward

Edited by jennynd

We will be doing MM6 and CWP5 with some AoPS thrown in. (We switched from SM last year). I feel MM6 has a lot to offer, including some non-algebra topics that I think are important. We will likely do AoPS full-on in 6th, although we may just move to Dolciani Algebra.

I have both AOPS preA and SM 6. I decided to do a heavy SM 6 rather than AOPS. I compare the 2 and realized that other than few topic that was not introduced in SM. SM questions are not any less challenging than AOPS (we did textbook, workbook, IP and CWP.. yes, all of it)

I felt since the boy thrive at SM and AOPS is not more challenging. For my back then 7 years old, SM is a better choice. We do use a more "discovery approach" similar to AOPS. I rarely give the boy any instruction. He will tell me what is his plan to solve and we will discuss it if the method he suggested is off track and is obvious not going to lead to the answer.. More than often I let him go ahead to solve the way he wants even the path he came out is not the "traditional" or the most efficient way. So I feel I took the "essence" of AOPS apply on SM :D

The boy just started AOPS algebra. He finished SM 6 heavy and finished the key to algebra. looking through AOPS algebra, I do feel SM 6 gave him strong fundation to go forward

Thanks for this! My ds8 will be starting PM5A soon so these threads have been on my radar. I wouldn't say we've been using a discovery approach, but he hasn't needed any direct instruction in SM4. We also take the heavy path and add a lot of supplements.

Prior to AOPS PreAlgebra, I was planning to do Russian Math 6 after SM6. After its release, I though AOPS PreAlgebra would be a good bridge between PM and AOPS Algebra instead. Do you think the PreAlgebra book is redundant after PM6? I don't think I can quit Singapore before finishing 6. Something about it doesn't sit right. It might have something to do with how young he is and not wanting to rush or my curriculum finishing OCD. I'm also a high school/college math tutor and have seen what happens to unprepared students. He will also be doing LOF PreAgebra and possibly Algebra during PM5 and 6 as well. He can't get enough of Fred.

Hmmm...would it be worth it just to do AOPS PreAlgebra to get familiar with the method? Like others, I'm not even sure if he'll click with AOPS material yet. He likes the samples but that is a far cry from completing a whole book.

no, i won't think AOPS PreA will be entirely redundant. If my DS was older, I probably will do it differently. AOPS PreA does have topics not covered in SM and my DS did have to go though those (exponent and squrae root )when he started AOPS Algebra.

It just for a young kid like mine. It might be a bit difficult to switch from the cute SM to all business AOPS. DS did also finish the key to algebra before starting AOPS algebra. Have he not done those. I probably will not comfortable to have him start AOPS Algebra from SM6.. (I still not entirely comfortable, but he seem doing well). I supposed using AOPS preA as a bridge to AOPS algebra might not be a bad idea

Edited by jennynd

no, i won't think AOPS PreA will be entirely redundant. If my DS was older, I probably will do it differently. AOPS PreA does have topics not covered in SM and my DS did have to go though those (exponent and squrae root )when he started AOPS Algebra.

It just for a young kid like mine. It might be a bit difficult to switch from the cute SM to all business AOPS. DS did also finish the key to algebra before starting AOPS algebra. Have he not done those. I probably will not comfortable to have him start AOPS Algebra from SM6.. (I still not entirely comfortable, but he seem doing well). I supposed using AOPS preA as a bridge to AOPS algebra might not be a bad idea

Thank you. I can see the problem with going to a real text with a 7yo. I'm hoping my ds will be okay with it at 9.