Menu

Cooking for a Diabetic

One of the things I would like to do is get a few days worth of menus figured out for when my father visits. I know he wants to come up soon.

Does anyone have a particularly good site to recommend?

I'm also looking for how to make pizza. He mentioned it jokingly, and I know it can be made in a way he can have it. I just need to figure it out. I am absolutely capable of making a whole wheat crust from scratch, but how do I figure out how many carbs my homemade crust would have per slice in order to figure out if it is healthy enough or thin enough or what size the slices need to be?

You can probably get a good estimate on the carbs from something online like carb-counter.net. I've found them pretty reliable.

But whole-wheat or not, you are going to have a problem with making a low-carb crust, even a super thin one. Pizza works out at about 20g of carbs per small slice. That's really too high for most diabetics (yeah, I know I'm generalizing...)

So.... are you open to being creative? Pizza Pie is an excellent alternative. Using a pie crust, you can get the carb count down to under 10 grams per slice. Bake a nice deep dish pie crust, then fill with lovely toppings - veggies, meats, cheese (go easy on the sauce - that's high-carb too) and then warm up in the oven. VERY filling and yummy.

You can also do personal pizzas using low-carb tortillas, though I don't like these (most have a funny taste). I have also made pizza casserole that was a hit - throw all the pizza ingredients into an oven-safe dish, top with cheese and bake.

When we took the diabetes education course, they brought in a bunch of wrappers. There was actually a thin crust pizza that fit within dh's guidelines for a meal. With his height, he was allowed, something like, 60 carbs a meal (maybe it was 45.... I don't know, he doesn't really use that number, but it was fairly high.) I will say that we always thought their guidelines were high and dh usually eats lower than that.

But, what if you made a thin crust, with pizza as an appetizer for dinner? I would make the pizza small enough to limit everyone to an appetizer portion. Then make the rest of your meal high in protein and veggies. If he's craving pizza, I would stick to a good pizza and adjust the portions.

My dh manages his diabetes with diet and exercise and he does eat normal pizza, at times. But he also exercises a lot. An hour of cardio most days and weights on some. So things he can get away with may not be good for everyone.

And, about recipes: South beach is a good place to try. Dh was taught to just count carbs and not to worry about exchanges or fiber content to get net carbs. Now, fiber helps and he does always look at it. But any site that gives you low/lower carb recipes will be helpful. Or, just remember high lean protein and veggies as the base for your meals. Fruits like berries are good for desserts and treats. Stay away from bananas.

Edited by snickelfritz

Crusts I recommend:

http://yourlighterside.com/recipe-the-original-cauliflower-pizza-dough-2/

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/deep_dish_pizza.html (this site is IMO an amazing resource, particularly for someone who likes comfort food types of dishes, casseroles, etc. and is having trouble transitioning. IME, anything she ranks a 3 or above is really good. She's quite "tough" on the recipes she posts, so if she ranks it 4 or 5 stars, it is usually really, really good. I enjoy lots and lots of her 3 star recipes too!

I also wing my own with almond and coconut flour now, but I truly don't have a recipe. I just toss it together now and eyeball it.

Deep dish and other pizzas also from yourlighterside: (I have not tried these)

http://yourlighterside.com/low-carb-pizza-recipes/

FWIW, her breadstick recipe with cauli is really, really good. I actually prefer that to the pizza, although I haven't made either in quite some time.

CHeck out the lowcarbfriends site, this site has amazing desserts (she's a diabetic pastry chef, so she comes up with great ideas! Highly recommend the Boston cream pie) http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ , http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/ , good stuff here (my kids love the banana nut muffins) http://www.healthyindulgences.net/

Whole wheat can be too high in carbs for many diabetics, but YMMV on how that goes for him and his guidelines. I'd probably stick with something even lower carb.

Edited by Momof3littles

It is going to depend on how your dad is dealing with his diabetes. Is he insulin dependent?

As a recently diagnosed diabetic :glare: I would not be able to eat any traditional type pizza crust including low carb wraps. Momof3littles posted several sites that I rely on most for recipes.

I have made the Meatza Pizza, but that is the only pizza recipe I've had a chance to play around with so far. My boss and several other friends have made the cauli pizza crust and have really liked it.

Here is a recipe (not pizza) that has become my fall-back dinner when I can't think of anything to make and have little time. My dh and dd will even eat this. I got the basic recipe online and then started playing around with variations. The original recipe called for ground beef:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crack Slaw

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Ground Turkey Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 bag Dole Cole Slaw Mix (try to pick out the carrots) or Shredded Cabbage.

2 tablespoons oil -- (2 to 4)

1 1/2 lbs ground beef

Brown meat till it's cooked. Remove meat from pan. Heat oil in pan, then add in shredded cabbage. Cook to desired tenderness. Add meat back to pan and combine with cabbage. Season as desired.

Description:

"Quick and Easy dish you will love."

Source:

"http://www.simplycoconut.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is the basic recipe. I use ground turkey and brown it in butter. I then remove it from the pan, add more butter to the pan and saute the cole slaw mix. This is an easy recipe to alter for one or two servings.

For Asian style, I brown the meat in coconut oil, I add garlic, ginger and green onions along with some soy sauce, sesame oil and a bit of Truvia.

For Mexican, I add chili powder or taco seasoning and garlic to the meat. I brown it all together and add some water and let it simmer a bit until the water evaporates. I remove the meat, saute the cabbage, add the meat back and serve it with avodaco, sour cream, and cheese.

Pesto Crack Slaw - just add pesto at the end and combine all. I sometimes add additional cheese.

Baked Spaghetti Crack Slaw - after adding the meat back to the cole slaw mix, I add oregano, garlic, tomato sauce, sour cream, and mozzarella. Combine until cheese is melted.

But, what if you made a thin crust, with pizza as an appetizer for dinner? I would make the pizza small enough to limit everyone to an appetizer portion. Then make the rest of your meal high in protein and veggies. If he's craving pizza, I would stick to a good pizza and adjust the portions.

This is kind of what I had in mind. A slice of lower carb pizza with sides.

Yes, he is and will be insulin dependent. He is apparently on a higher dose of a daily maintenance insulin and then taking insulin with each meal depending on his blood sugar readings. The hospital is telling him he can have, I think, 4 carbs with each meal. I don't know how they are defining a carb yet.

Overall, I expect to good no or very low carb meals when he visits, but I thought it would be nice to give him a small treat.