Menu

I feel bad - sent the neighbor kid home

Background: My own kids are LOUD. I know they are. We work continually on noise control.

But it is nothing compared to this kid. He SCREAMS AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS every single word. My own kids ramp up and scream at the top of theirs and I just start shaking. Literally I think it would be less stressful to be punched over and over. I just can't handle it. I'm very noise defensive and even wear hearing protectors with my own kids at times as we continue training.

I gave warnings and sent him home. He lasted 15 minutes here (outside). I feel bad though. I like his mom, his family. I hate sending kids right back home for anything, let alone something not related to hitting or deliberate meanness. But OMG I just couldn't stand it after a migraine all day.

I hope the mom isn't angry or such, or feel like we are not liking them. He is welcome again, but not today.

You are doing this kid a favor, he needs to learn social skills in order to be successful in life. It takes a village, and it is really too bad that most of the village is so tolerant of bad behavior. I really don't think that what you did is mean, it is not like you banned him for life. My kids have volume control issues as well, and so I really would not be upset with another mom for doing this, I would appreciate the reinforcement of what we try to work on at home.

I've found that whispering helps. When a child is being too loud, I whisper to them. When they are younger it confuses them, makes them stop to think, then they respond in a quieter voice.

Yeah, I tried it but he couldn't hear me. My kids knew my tone and knew he was about to be sent home to were talking quietly, and he yelled at them that he couldn't hear them. I know his hearing is normal or I would suspect hearing loss or something. Holy cow. :confused:

Thinking back, my first was probably a lot like him but in the space of 4 years I've had more improvement than I realized incrementally. There is hope for my kids after all! :lol:

What sorts of things are you doing with your own to address their noise? :bigear: I need ideas to implement with my own.

Oh and don't feel bad. I've sent a neighbor kid home before. Sometimes because I just don't want any more kids around.