Menu

Would "Writing With Skill" be overkill?

For language arts DS13 is supposed to be doing:

~U.S. History Based Writing Lessons (in a co-op)

~Total Language Plus Lit. Guide - The Hobbit for the first half of the year and another guide for the second half (mostly focusing on the vocab., spelling, grammar and enrichment but we'll do the writing portions orally as discussion questions)

~Word Roots & Vocabulary Vine

Would it be complete overkill if I added in Writing With Skill? I LOVE the format and I think he would really benefit from the methodical focus since he's not the strongest of writers. However, I'm afraid of overwhelming him. Honestly, if I could drop the U.S. History Based Writing Lessons I would, but DH is pretty determined that he be accountable to someone other than just me for writing since it can be such a subjective subject. Unfortunately, this is the only writing class that is available for his grade level.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by contessa20

I did the US History lessons this year with my 6th and 8th grade boys. I think it would be too much to add another whole additional writing program. That said, I still had 6th grade ds do most of the writing assignments in his Rod and Staff English book, especially the ones on outlining and writing from outlines. I also had my 8th grade ds do the research paper required with CLE english, but I did not require all the dress-ups and such that the IEW papers call for that he hates HAVING to add in. Overall, I enjoyed the US History lessons and they had a nice book at the end of all their writing from the year. I would have considered the second half this year, but it doesn't fit in with everything else we are doing.

We are die hard fans of WWS and I have to say that if I had to choose between one or the other - I'd prefer WWS over being in a co-op, even if the history writing is good. But that's just me. I only know how WWS has made a huge impact on my own dd and how her writing has transformed over the past year. We are thrilled to be beta testers for the 2nd level.

Blessings,

LUcinda

P.S. Middle school students still need vocabulary and grammar, no matter what writing program is chosen.

I think it probably would be overkill, but then this year I am resolved to NOT allow myself to try to do more than one complete program in each subject. In the past, I've often (and repeatedly) thought I could integrate two or more different curricula to cover one subject -- and it always ends up that one of them gets dropped, and I am frustrated and annoyed with myself for overbuying and overcommitting. For some families, this might work fine, but with my time constraints, I just have to face the facts.

This past year, I found WWS to be very good, but very time-intensive for the teacher, much more so than I was expecting. IEW, especially when taught in a co-op setting, should be manageable for both of you.

I agree with Lucinda: a solid grammar program is essential at this level. For us, Rod and Staff has worked well, though my kids aren't on grade level with it. (That was my fault though for taking off a couple of years when I got distracted by another program or two.)

HTH,

Tiffany

I think you could do it but it would be serious work for a 13 yo- it would mean 2 papers a week many weeks. The programs are dissimilar enough that its not like the content would be redundant. You could do some of the WWS orally.

I would set a time once a week for an hour and go over the weeks work, white board at your side and try to knock out most of the WWS that can be done together-orally. You could get 1-3 days done together each week.

How long is the IEW class- will they be doing KWO in class? How much of their papers will they do as a group?

Is there any way that you could go everyother week- a paper for WWS, a paper for IEW?

I think you could do it but it would be serious work for a 13 yo- it would mean 2 papers a week many weeks. The programs are dissimilar enough that its not like the content would be redundant. You could do some of the WWS orally.

I would set a time once a week for an hour and go over the weeks work, white board at your side and try to knock out most of the WWS that can be done together-orally. You could get 1-3 days done together each week.

How long is the IEW class- will they be doing KWO in class? How much of their papers will they do as a group?

Is there any way that you could go every other week- a paper for WWS, a paper for IEW?

I really don't know how the co-op is structured and what they will cover in class. This is our first year there and I won't get the syllabus until August.

What about doing WWS at half-speed? That would make the workload more manageable.

That is not a bad idea at all. Ideally we will start WWS before the IEW co-op class anyway and continue to work through next summer so going slower wouldn't be an issue.

Now, do you think he would have a problem hanging with the IEW class if he isn't the strongest of writers to begin with?

I went ahead and bought WWS and I feel such peace about it. I'm not entirely sure whether we'll try to do both or if I'll figure out some way to drop IEW. Secretly I'm hoping that too many people signed up for the class and he gets bumped. That would make my job really easy. :lol: I've also decided to give KISS Grammar a try. We're doing Easy Grammar Ultimate right now as just a review over the summer and I'm seeing some areas where he could use a little more reinforcement.

Thanks for all your input!

Now, do you think he would have a problem hanging with the IEW class if he isn't the strongest of writers to begin with?

My 11yo took an IEW class at our co-op last year. It was his first writing class and really, his first exposure to writing. Before that we had mostly done narrations because he was a late reader. I thought the class was great and the teacher did a wonderful job. He learned a lot and his writing improved by leaps and bounds over the course of the year.

Is yours set up as a beginning writing class? Ours was, so the expectations were quite clear and the instructor kept her comments positive. You may need to help him in the beginning so sitting in on the class or at least pre-reading the homework assignment to make sure he knows the expectations could be necessary.

Edited by luvnlattes

My 11yo took an IEW class at our co-op last year. It was his first writing class and really, his first exposure to writing. Before that we had mostly done narrations because he was a late reader. I thought the class was great and the teacher did a wonderful job. He learned a lot and his writing improved by leaps and bounds over the course of the year.

Is yours set up as a beginning writing class? Ours was, so the expectations were quite clear and the instructor kept her comments positive. You may need to help him in the beginning so sitting in on the class or at least pre-reading the homework assignment to make sure he knows the expectations could be necessary.

It is set up as an intermediate writing class.

I've taught IEW at a co-op (SWI-A and SICC-B) and I don't know how the theme writing programs are set up, but I thought you needed to at least have already taken the SWI material before going to another level. I could be wrong. If we had students that wanted to jump into a second year IEW course we had them do the SWI first as a week intensive, which is the way Mr. Pudewa did the class on the DVDs. I'd ask the teacher if the US History theme starts over teaching all the dress ups, sentence openers, and units from the beginning or if it is a continuation course. You may also find this information on the IEW website.

My dc had IEW for two years as 4th/5th graders and 5th/6th and it was a great introduction to writing. They had not done any writing practically and it was so painless and they even had fun. This was the SWI-A and SICC-A material. We're doing WWS next year.

I've taught IEW at a co-op (SWI-A and SICC-B) and I don't know how the theme writing programs are set up, but I thought you needed to at least have already taken the SWI material before going to another level. I could be wrong. If we had students that wanted to jump into a second year IEW course we had them do the SWI first as a week intensive, which is the way Mr. Pudewa did the class on the DVDs. I'd ask the teacher if the US History theme starts over teaching all the dress ups, sentence openers, and units from the beginning or if it is a continuation course. You may also find this information on the IEW website.

My dc had IEW for two years as 4th/5th graders and 5th/6th and it was a great introduction to writing. They had not done any writing practically and it was so painless and they even had fun. This was the SWI-A and SICC-A material. We're doing WWS next year.

That is a good question, Michelle. I couldn't find the answer on the website but I sent them an email. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon. I hadn't even thought that he might possibly need to have taken another class previously only because I didn't see a "prerequisite" listed in the course description. Thanks for bringing that up though.

In case anyone else has questions about the same thing later, I went ahead and emailed my concerns about DS13 being new to IEW and starting out with U.S. History Based Writing Lessons and this was their response:

Hi Crissy,

I think if you have him first do the Student Writing Intensive Level B DVD workshop, he will have a much easier time with the U. S History-Based Writing Lessons.

Student Writing Intensive Level B presumes your middle school student has had no previous experience with our writing method. Mr. Pudewa will introduce some of the nine units to the class on the DVDs, working through lessons with examples. The assignments he gives the class are included in the packet for your son, as well as detailed lesson plans for you and reinforcement exercises for added practice between the DVD assignments. This course will give your son a good basic foundation in our writing method before he begins the U. S. History-Based lessons with the co-op. In watching the DVD lessons with your son, you will also learn some IEW basics that will enable you to better assist him in completion of his writing assignments.

You can find additional information, video excerpt and sample lessons on .pdf on our website here:

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/sid-b

We also have a free shipping promotion going on now through July 4 for online orders. Just go to our home page and find the American Flag and the link for the Freedomship Promotion. You'll be provided a coupon code you can use during online checkout to receive free shipping.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

--

Thank you,

Lori Brians

Accounts Manager

Institute for Excellence in Writing

8799 N. 387 Rd.

Locust Grove, OK 74352

800-856-5815, Ext. 5004

FAX: (603)925-5123

www.excellenceinwriting.com

lori@excellenceinwriting.com

However, I then emailed the teacher of the co-op class to see if she makes any modifications for new students and her response was:

Crissy,

Hi! Thank you for your question and I understand your concern. I have been teaching the IEW method for several years and have used a variety of their curricula at different levels, and I believe an 8th grader would have no problem keeping up with the pace I am planning. We will generally cover one lesson per week -- writing only an average of about 3 paragraphs per assignment. I am not planning to complete the entire text, so the pace will be steady but not overwhelming. I have taught the program IEW referred you to -- I incorporate those principles into whatever curriculum I am using, so your son will not be at a major disadvantage since he is new to it. I anticipate that I may have other students who will be 'first-timers' as well.

I encourage you to keep your son in the class. I have witnessed this program work wonders in my students' writing. It seems to work especially well for struggling writers because it gives them specific tools, techniques, and even the content to help them improve their writing. It is especially effective when there is some parental involvement with writing assignments at home. If you're willing to spend some time guiding your son at home, he should have no trouble completing the work and excelling. I will be sending out information later this summer helping parents to understand the philosophy behind IEW's program and offering suggestions for helping your student to succeed.

I hope this helps ease your concerns. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

cleardot.gif

So, I'm thinking it just depends on the teacher and how they plan to present the material. We're going to keep him in for now and potentially use WWS to supplement since it seems like her writing lessons will not be overwhelming.

I think she sounds like a great teacher! I agree with her comment about parental involvement. This was key to my son's success. You may not need to be as involved since your son is older, but I would go in with the expectation that you will need to help him and then back off if you see he is handling it well on his own.

I hope your son has great writing success next year :) .

I think she sounds like a great teacher! I agree with her comment about parental involvement. This was key to my son's success. You may not need to be as involved since your son is older, but I would go in with the expectation that you will need to help him and then back off if you see he is handling it well on his own.

I hope your son has great writing success next year :) .

:iagree: Parental involvement, especially as your ds's editor, is extremely important to getting the most out of the IEW program. She does sound like a great teacher.!

Thanks so much for the input guys; I really appreciate it. I must admit, I'm really happy with the feedback that she gave me and I think this is going to go well.

I've always been very involved in DS's schoolwork, homework and then we always afterschooled and summerschooled so being involved with this class is a given. I'm excited to see her syllabus and I'm so glad that she'll be taking things slow instead of trying to plow through and cram everything in (which I personally have a tendency to do :tongue_smilie:).

On another note, we totally started WWS today and it went REALLY well. I think we're going to get a LOT out of it.