Menu

Question about those 'custom' college textbooks?

Our ds took an honors freshman comp course at Bama last fall and they required the Hacker 'handbook' or what is titled "A Writer's Reference". Great book and great handbook but the school added several pages to the front matter of the book and called it a 'custom' so now I cannot figure out where/how to sell it since the ISBN doesn't match the regular edition. Do you think there is any college specific site or something? I tried searching but wasn't successful. I don't want a lot of money for it just want it in someone's hands who can use it. Thanks for any ideas!

(Oh, bookstore doesn't buy it back - another of the publisher's 'deals')

You likely won't be able to sell it.

The custom texts are sometimes done because it fits the course better.

Other times they are cheaper than a traditional text...in some cases by $100.

I'm not pleased overall with custom texts, but a department generally does have a reason for using them.

But it does make them non resell able.

Thanks! I'll check into the college specific sites further. DId look on facebook but nada. Local Craig's list is a good idea!

I know for a fact that this is exactly like the original book with just additional writing instructions for the university tacked on as front matter. (I was in college textbook publishing for a few decades -ha!) And it certainly wasn't cheaper! Burns me that these kids have to pay so much for these books and then cannot offer the next class a break, you know? Think I'll try Ebay maybe too.

Appreciate the help.

Good ideas!

Amazon, I think requires the ISBN to match their listing but I could be wrong. Will check it out.

Guess I really 'should' list it here too. Will do -Thanks! Always a slim chance that a WTM's kiddo is going to take the same class at the same school too, I suppose.