Menu

I need some ideas for a drawing program for ds (who is artistically challenged). I am looking for something solid that will teach him color, shading, perspective, etc. along with drawing. Maybe even some info of artists or history but this is not a necessity. Also something that is not childish but a serious art course. Anything like that out there?

We used this very simple book:

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Textbook-Bruce-McIntyre/dp/B000GTZZ9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340625064&sr=8-1&keywords=bruce+mcintyre

I've been told this is the book that Mark Kisler's Draw Squad is modeled on.

It can teach you to draw if you simply work through it. We did a drawing a day and it took a year or two to go through. You can easily do several drawings a day to work through faster (although you should plan that as the book progresses you won't be able to do as much in a day).

It won't cover a lot on shading, but the bare bones of sketching will be well covered.

When you get the book, it won't look like much it is a stapled up book, but the content is solid.

The New Drawing on the right side of the Brain

I don't know what all it covers and my son who worked through it is at work.

My son draws quite well, or quite well in the eyes of a mother who is not at all artistically inclined. He did not show a particular talent for drawing before he worked through the book(I'm not even sure he completed the book). He credits his drawing abilities to that book and particularly to the exercises on drawing upside down and drawing your own hand that are early on in the book.

It was recommended on the boards here so you might be able to search and find threads with more information on it.

We used this very simple book:

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Textbook-Bruce-McIntyre/dp/B000GTZZ9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340625064&sr=8-1&keywords=bruce+mcintyre

I've been told this is the book that Mark Kisler's Draw Squad is modeled on.

It can teach you to draw if you simply work through it. We did a drawing a day and it took a year or two to go through. You can easily do several drawings a day to work through faster (although you should plan that as the book progresses you won't be able to do as much in a day).

It won't cover a lot on shading, but the bare bones of sketching will be well covered.

When you get the book, it won't look like much it is a stapled up book, but the content is solid.

Just wanted to say this is a great book. Both kids loved it!

I like Bruce McIntyre very much and think it's a great place to start. Mark Kistler is a good place to move onto for very fun perspective.

I've been looking wide for something for jr. and sr. high for co-op next year. We did both of the above books and I'd like to continue with skill building. I did find this book The Drawing Handbook

The New Drawing on the right side of the Brain

I don't know what all it covers and my son who worked through it is at work.

My son draws quite well, or quite well in the eyes of a mother who is not at all artistically inclined. He did not show a particular talent for drawing before he worked through the book(I'm not even sure he completed the book). He credits his drawing abilities to that book and particularly to the exercises on drawing upside down and drawing your own hand that are early on in the book.

It was recommended on the boards here so you might be able to search and find threads with more information on it.

The Library has this, I will give it a look.

Thanks all. Drawing Textbook is cheap enough to give it a try. I tried Artistic Pursuits with the younger book and did not enjoy it. Is the older book more an actual drawing lesson type of book?

We tried Artistic Pursuits after The Drawing Textbook. I think it is more like Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, but I've only pursued that book so I maybe incorrect.

The Drawing Textbooks treats drawing a bit like learning to write the alphabet and breaks it down and slowly increases what you can do. The others are more on the creative side and encourage people to explore.