Menu

How can I get my pizza dough onto a hot pizza stone?

I've done it a few different ways. In order, from most likely to be successful to most likely to use up my profanity quotient for the month:

* Roll it out onto parchment paper on the counter, sauce and top it, and slide the whole thing (paper and all) onto the stone in the oven. Any paper not covered by dough will burn a bit, so you might trim the excess. You can reuse it once or twice if you don't have too many burned up bits.

* Use liberal amounts of olive oil and roll/press it out. Let it rest for about ten minutes. Take the stone out of the oven, transfer the dough from the counter onto the stone, quickly and lightly pressing it to shape if you need to. Sauce and top super-quickly, and get it back into the oven as quickly as you can.

* Roll it out, transfer to an inverted cookie sheet (or a lipless one) liberally covered in cornmeal, sauce and top quickly, and then slide it onto the stone in the oven. It will stick in little places if you don't get it onto the stone quickly. And it causes lots and lots of smoke from the cornmeal falling into the bottom of the oven.

If I'm making lots (three or more), I use the first method. Unless I don't have parchment paper, in which case I use the last method, dirtying lots of cookie sheets and generally annoying my dh.

You can also assemble the pizza on the inverted cookie sheet without the cornmeal (maybe with a slick of oil?) and bake it for two minutes, just to firm up the bottom. THEN slide it onto the stone. I haven't tried this in awhile, though, and I can't remember the success quotient.