Menu

How to replace a front door?

I hate, hate, hate my front door. It has beveled/frosted glass, but you can still see fairly well right in to our main living area. I really dislike the fact that I can't ascertain who is at my door before I decide whether or not to answer (because I can't hide the fact that I'm home). Plus, it's just ugly.

So. . . we went to look at replacement doors at Lowe's, but it appears everything comes pre-hung? Are we going to have to replace our entire frame if we replace the door? We can't just take the existing one out and put a new one of the same size in it's place?

Anyone BTDT?

Edited by LemonPie

I'm no expert, but no, you want to replace the whole thing. If you hang a new door in the old frame, it would be a nightmare to get it aligned and sealed properly. New doors are made specifically to seal into their own frames.

Meanwhile, maybe a curtain would help?

I know how you feel, though. The upper third of our door (not prehung and very drafty, but probably 150 years old) is glass. I really should - after 13 years - put a curtain up there.

It is possible but not likely. You will likely pay more for the door, and probably run in to problems. The jam may have shifted slightly, warped with weather etc. Wood does move. You can't see it, but enough to not be an exact replica of what it once was brand new.

For a front door you will need to remove the old door, jam, and then install the new prehung door. It does require some finishing skills, and you should know how to apply caulk efficiently. It really is not that difficult, but you should prepare yourself well, have everything necessary and start early so you have the entire day.

This Old House website has DIY videos and many tips/tutorials.

Thanks ladies. Unfortunately, neither DH or myself are handy enough to take on a task of that size, so we'd probably have to have it installed. Bummer.

Whoever installs it would probably anticipate you buying a prehung door.

We had two doors replaced last year when we did our kitchen. I don't know the exact cost for that particular job (Several small jobs were included in one quote...), but it wasn't a lot.

BTW, there is a film type thing you can apply to windows. This blog I read had a post on it. Check out this link :)

http://www.younghouselove.com/2012/04/frosting-tanking-sucking-it-up/

I have glass at the top of my door that a very tall person could see in. I also have side lights and HATE that people can see it. Fortunately I have a decent sized entry area, and cannot see my main living room.

It sounds like a big deal, but it is not. Just take the trim off of the door, unscrew the door frame from the wall (after removing the door of course), and put the new door frame in. The door frame is easy enough to install, and the trim is just to cover up the ugliness and any mistakes. :) You can then paint or stain the door whatever color you like.

If you go to a place like Trisupply or another building material place for contractors, they may even deliver it for free and give you some pointers. Be sure to ask exactly how to measure the door, so you get a good fit. You can do this! Be sure to ask them to predrill the holes for the knob and the deadbolt. Just measure the distance from the current hole to the bottom of the door (or however te company you go with measures for that).

It sounds like a big deal, but it is not. Just take the trim off of the door, unscrew the door frame from the wall (after removing the door of course), and put the new door frame in. The door frame is easy enough to install, and the trim is just to cover up the ugliness and any mistakes. :) You can then paint or stain the door whatever color you like.

It shouldn't be a big deal, and it certainly CAN be simple but... it sure would be a nuisance to get caught in the middle of this one and end up needing help. It is important to know how to shim and level it or your locks might not line up (since no house is perfectly level and square).

I've installed a few doors (interior) and done quite a bit of diy projects around my home. I've also hired a few done (2 interior and 2 exterior just last year) and watched people who KNOW what they are doing struggle to get some of them to open and close properly.

It seems to be a crap shoot. At least in our house.

bump. I'd love opinions on my pic if anyone has them :)

I can't tell from the pic if it's wooden or painted brown. If that's a wood door, it would be pretty pricey to replace with a door of equal quality.

In that case, I'd go with sheers, or maybe a little roll up shade or even blinds similar to what you have on your windows. That would look intentional if they matched.

Did you read my suggestion of the frost material? That is what I would suggest.

I did, but I don't think it would work because several of the pieces are textured/frosted/beveled, so I don't think it would stick well. Plus I'd have to cut out a piece for each little tiny piece of glass because the lead frame sticks out on both sides.

I can't tell from the pic if it's wooden or painted brown. If that's a wood door, it would be pretty pricey to replace with a door of equal quality.

In that case, I'd go with sheers, or maybe a little roll up shade or even blinds similar to what you have on your windows. That would look intentional if they matched.

Yes, it's a solid wood door, so it would be pricey to replace. I learned that after my little jaunt to Lowe's as well :D

I'm thinking sheers or shades too. Even if I have to put some hardware into the door, it wouldn't be that difficult to undo/putty when we sell.

This is not the answer you are looking for, but I think it's a pretty door.

Could you obscure the view from outside with a big wreath? You could change it seasonally. I love wreaths and think they are the answer to all decorating problems.

Terri

This is not the answer you are looking for, but I think it's a pretty door.

Could you obscure the view from outside with a big wreath? You could change it seasonally. I love wreaths and think they are the answer to all decorating problems.

Terri

Thanks! I hadn't considered a wreath, but that's a good idea and definitely much less permanent. Hmmm. . .

I did, but I don't think it would work because several of the pieces are textured/frosted/beveled, so I don't think it would stick well. Plus I'd have to cut out a piece for each little tiny piece of glass because the lead frame sticks out on both sides.

Ya i kind of wondered from the photo....

the wreath idea is great! I have side lights and need something for them, but I don't like the idea of curtains.

Ya i kind of wondered from the photo....

the wreath idea is great! I have side lights and need something for them, but I don't like the idea of curtains.

Yeah, my iPhone photography skills aren't super great, haha! But each panel is made up of 35 smaller pieces of individual glass!

The door looks beautiful. I would try the wreath, or even 3 small vertical curtains, inset into each window? I'm guessing the sunlight is a nice feature for the entryway. Tough problem!

Thanks! Yeah, I was worried about loss of light, but I hung a dark fleece blanket over the window just to see what a solid door would do there, and it didn't really change much. We have a skylight over the entry, so I think that helps a lot.

P.S. I love your avatar!