Menu

Do you declare a major at a university if you plan to transfer?

elegantlion

We're looking ahead at options for ds.* Our closest college is a 4 year state university (other colleges and CC are too far to commute). Dh, at this point, would like ds to live at home for at least a year of college. However, the university does not offer the major or opportunities ds currently wants. So, if you attend a university with the intent to transfer in 1-2 years do you declare a major?

* this may be a series of what seem like basic questions over the next few years. I am on a quest to find out if there really such a thing as a stupid question. :D

This may depend on the college itself. Some schools have all first year students matriculate into a "general college" and then declare majors later. But at NCSU, for example, first year students declare a major from the get-go. I think there is a way to be undeclared, but students there are accepted into a college within the university (i.e. Ag, Design, Engineering, Humanities and Social Science, etc.) which is based upon their intended major.

I would look at the website of the college near you. There should be something on the application pages about this.

This may depend on the college itself. Some schools have all first year students matriculate into a "general college" and then declare majors later. But at NCSU, for example, first year students declare a major from the get-go. I think there is a way to be undeclared, but students there are accepted into a college within the university (i.e. Ag, Design, Engineering, Humanities and Social Science, etc.) which is based upon their intended major.

I would look at the website of the college near you. There should be something on the application pages about this.

Thanks, Jane. I know they have a general studies major, but I'll check into the undeclared.

I also want to check the college he prefers and see what he might miss by not attending there the first or second year.

One other thing to think about is availability of classes. Some classes, especially for stem majors, fill up. Priority may be given to those who have declared a major that requires those classes.

Thank you, I'll look into that aspect as well.

I recommend declaring a major - whatever is closest to his intended area of study. Two reasons not already mentioned include the possibility of departmental scholarships that wouldn't be offered if "undeclared." Also, the assignment of advisors is often by area of study. You want your son advised by someone who is at least familiar with the area of study he is heading toward and not just a general advisor they use for undecided students.

Finally, you should realize that most merit scholarships target freshmen and much fewer scholarships are available to transfer students. That may or may not affect your decision making.

P.

I recommend declaring a major - whatever is closest to his intended area of study. Two reasons not already mentioned include the possibility of departmental scholarships that wouldn't be offered if "undeclared." Also, the assignment of advisors is often by area of study. You want your son advised by someone who is at least familiar with the area of study he is heading toward and not just a general advisor they use for undecided students.

Finally, you should realize that most merit scholarships target freshmen and much fewer scholarships are available to transfer students. That may or may not affect your decision making.

P.

Thanks. Unfortunately there isn't anything really close to what my son is currently considering, hence the dilemma.

Personally, I think he'd be better off starting at a place where he'd be enthused by interaction with the proper department.

We have a few years to work on it, but dh is definitely having some issues with ds growing up so fast. I think he's still in denial. :lol:

I'll keep that in mind about the merit scholarships. The tuition costs are about the same at each university, it's the room and board and actually being away from home that are the issue.

We have a few years to work on it, but dh is definitely having some issues with ds growing up so fast. I think he's still in denial. :lol:

Your son may weigh in with a strong opinion a few years down the road as well! Frankly it would have been a mistake for my son to have started at the university within commuting distance. Many of the classes that he has taken within his first two years of college are not offered at this school. It does not make it a bad college--it is just not a good fit for my son. That is ultimately the point.